Pyranha Prelude?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bamaboater
Pain Boater

Post by bamaboater »

maybe a dumb question (I'm not caught up in the industry on canoes because i find what works for me and stick with it), but Pyranha isn't going to stop making the prelude is it? Or does anyone know if pyranha is going to make any adjustments to it or possibly make another OC?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

bamaboater wrote:Or does anyone know if pyranha is going to make any adjustments to it or possibly make another OC?
Doubtful... and I wouldn't hold my breath.
Never know what those sneaky guys in Quebec are up to though. :lol:
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Hey Craig get them to make a Mega Taureau

Post by Wendy »

for longer, wider leg folks, and those of us with a larger ars. :lol:
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Craig,do you know what's the deal with the Taureau and the cockpit rim ? A friend of mine who paddles one (old one with the splitting seam issue) inquired about the availability of the cockpit rim for a skirt and was aparently told that there was no such thing planned :o ???

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Wendy wrote: Re: Hey Craig get them to make a Mega Taureau for longer, wider leg folks, and those of us with a larger ars. :lol:
:lol: "get them to"... good one Wendy.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

martin wrote:Craig,do you know what's the deal with the Taureau and the cockpit rim ? A friend of mine who paddles one (old one with the splitting seam issue) inquired about the availability of the cockpit rim for a skirt and was aparently told that there was no such thing planned :o ???

Not as far as I know... I've seen one completed and you all saw the "spy-photo" :wink: ... best to have him enquire right to Jacques or his local "rep"... I'm guessing that would be Mark Scriver in your area of Canada.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

I feel like I should speak up since I've owned multiple spanish flys and preludes (yes, you can break them if you paddle class IV and up creeks 50+ days per year).

The prelude is an awesome boat, if your main focus is creeking. It is a decent boat for playing and an average boat for river running.

The spanish fly is an awesome overall boat. It creeks well, plays well and is even a good river runner.

Everyone else has already pointed this out but the advantages of the prelude are that it looks like a canoe, and it's slightly faster and drier than the fly. However, it is very unstable.

The fly is much more stable than the prelude and is also more manuverable. However, people will paddle up to you on the ocoee and say, "what kind of kayak is that?" and if you are on harder runs like the green they will say, "why don't you just put a skirt on that and call it a c-1?"

My current boat of choice is the Esquif Spark for everything besides the steepest rockiest runs where the Prelude and Fly are tough to beat. (you can't say enough about a short plastic manuverable canoe for creeking)
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

I just wanted to have a demo Prelude from the German Pyranha dealer for the Swiss Armada.

I was told that the Prelude isn't in production anymore (at least not available in Europe anymore).
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Craig Smerda wrote:
martin wrote:Craig,do you know what's the deal with the Taureau and the cockpit rim ? A friend of mine who paddles one (old one with the splitting seam issue) inquired about the availability of the cockpit rim for a skirt and was aparently told that there was no such thing planned :o ???

Not as far as I know... I've seen one completed and you all saw the "spy-photo" :wink: ... best to have him enquire right to Jacques or his local "rep"... I'm guessing that would be Mark Scriver in your area of Canada.
Craig , this was the info that my friend got from Esquif, not sure anymore if from Mark or from the factory. That's why I was so surprised when I heard it.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

A friend who is a Pyranha dealer told me there would be no more Preludes. I'm glad I picked up a spare.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
beereddy
C Guru

Pyranha Prelude?

Post by beereddy »

Ouch! My ugly duck Prelude now is became rarely!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Taniwha wrote:I just wanted to have a demo Prelude from the German Pyranha dealer for the Swiss Armada.

I was told that the Prelude isn't in production anymore (at least not available in Europe anymore).
No more Prelude either :o :o :o !?!?
It's still on the Pyranha website though. Hmm, may have to pick up a spare then sometime, I guess...

dccjon
C Boater

New Prelude availability...

Post by dccjon »

I just picked up a new one 2-weeks ago from Bernie at Whitewater Warehouse in Dayton. He still has a couple more, but those may be the last in the US. Havent had mine on water yet (to busy with work/teaching to finish the foam-out), but am looking forward to it. If anyone is looking for a new one, I would check with them. www.kayakdayton.com
Jon