C1 Saddles/Seats... WHERE ARE THEY?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Skip On Ocoee
C Boater

C1 Saddles/Seats... WHERE ARE THEY?

Post by Skip On Ocoee »

Aloha c-boaters,

I'm now on the hunt for a C-1 saddle/seat. i know dagger used to make some. On Playak there is a guy who makes them, but he charges as much as some boats themselves for a saddle/seat.
Any links or anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch guys.

Skip On Ocoee
... I asked myself, why am I here.... what is my purpose.... and then I remember.... milk.... i need to get milk, aisle 5.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I don't hink any are currently in mass production - best bet would be to find an old boat to pull one from or... check all the methods in the outfitting area on this site. The "fence rail" (though I use Vinyl downspout - it's smaller) and the "etc" plate are pretty common.
HIPPOSTAN
C Boater

Post by HIPPOSTAN »

Gedday mate,
Have a look at my blog as the backbone is very simple to make and very cheap. In Australian dollars it cost $20.00 for material for the backbone, if you get someone to weld it for you about $20.00.
It is strong and light with minimal flexibility.
www.deepsouthc1.blogspot.com
You can do almost anything with thin aluminium as it is so light and very strong. :P

cheers
Hippostan
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

Good ole Fashion MiniCell?
Skip On Ocoee
C Boater

Post by Skip On Ocoee »

minicell? haven't heard of it. Probably have seen it before, just never put a picture to a name
... I asked myself, why am I here.... what is my purpose.... and then I remember.... milk.... i need to get milk, aisle 5.
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

Skip On Ocoee wrote:minicell? haven't heard of it. Probably have seen it before, just never put a picture to a name
MiniCell Foam. Cut, carve and sand away!
Skip On Ocoee
C Boater

Post by Skip On Ocoee »

ahhhh yes of course, haha. but what are some suggestions for a backbone? i'm looking for something lightweight and easy to come by. any suggestions?
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

For starters. 4" PVC fencepost cut in half, 2 pieces of 2" angle aluminum bolted together.
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
jim gross
CBoats Addict

OUTFITTING

Post by jim gross »

Backbone whats that. Oh yeah , guys that were raised by their maternal grand mother don,t have one. I always just lay up a minicell pedistal . Use to use thigh straps but have been useing a bulkhead system for a while. I had fitted out an old Caper T with straps in the front and bulkhead in the rear. If i waited for the bow paddler to exit the outfitting first i could roll it from the back. HEHEHEHE. JIM
michielv
C Boater

Post by michielv »

Skip On Ocoee wrote:ahhhh yes of course, haha. but what are some suggestions for a backbone? i'm looking for something lightweight and easy to come by. any suggestions?
A piece of a broken paddle shaft is great: it's light, strong and easy to obtain. Just ask a double blader who has snapped his/her paddle for the leftovers. Chances are you'll get it for free ;-)
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

Skip On Ocoee wrote:ahhhh yes of course, haha. but what are some suggestions for a backbone? i'm looking for something lightweight and easy to come by. any suggestions?
composite hockey stick shaft.