Galasport seat ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Darrick
c

Galasport seat ?

Post by Darrick »

I know this is a canoe forum but i just got my Toro kayak today does anyone have any outtfiting pic? I'm trying to put in my seat.

Darrick
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

I got some pics I will send'em to you.

Basically,

1. Find the balance point. You can get a rough idea by eyeballing it. Try placing a pole on the ground and set boat on top of the pole at right angle to the pole. The center point will be found by moving the boat forward and back. The seat will go some where along the cockpit tabs and since they are only 6-8 inchs long it is not hard to find where you want it.

2. Take it to the water and try paddling it to make sure you have it right before you drill and bolt. It is a little sloppy with the seat loose however, you really want to make sure it is in the right spot. Make multiple marks on the hull and try it at different spots.

3. Glue some real thin foam, the thinnest, to hull where the seat will go. This will help reduce chafing of the seat against the hull. In particular there are two feet towards the back of the seat. These have a tendency to chafe though the hull.

4. Line up the tabs on the seat with the tabs on the boat. The boat should have come from Gala with some stainless steel nuts, bolts or wing nut. They might be in the bag with the foot pegs. If they did not send them and that happens often, go to Home Depot and buy stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. They are short as you do not have much room to work with.

5. Drill two holes through both tabs and fasten. Use a brand new drill bit as you do not want it to skip on you.

6. Where the base of seat at the front meets the hull of the boat, epoxy in a strip of two inch seam tape and with a layer of S-glass tape over it. Use peel ply on top as you do not want a pointy mess.

Stop back if you need help with the footpegs.. That is a two person job and you need a flashlight. Illuminate your foot from inside the boat against the hull so you can the see the shadows and get your braces in the right spot. Have your friend, preferably a kayaker, mark where your feet are. Measure, measure measure. Use the channel alluminum as a template. You only want to drill those four holes once. Also, put the foot peg on the rail before you bolt it down. You can use the seam as a guide to keep them level.

Enjoy the Toro! That is a hot boat.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Darrick
c

Post by Darrick »

Thank's Tom for your help! I have one question what is peel ply?

Darrick
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

If you are unsure about wherwe you might want the seat, both scotty and brett paddle the toro. You could email them.
Skaal
-Isaac
michielv
C Boater

Post by michielv »

Darrick wrote:Thank's Tom for your help! I have one question what is peel ply?

Darrick
Peel ply is a plastic foil you put on top of newly applied resin (polyester or epoxy) so it hardens out smoother and you get nice smooth transitions of the patch and the boat.

If you can't buy peel ply try thick plastic (without print, as the print will transfer to the resin. It is not harmful in any way but you may not want to show where you shop every time you paddle ;) ).

Have fun in your new boat :D !

Cheers,

Michiel