wtb a new paddle but dont know what to get

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nathan

wtb a new paddle but dont know what to get

Post by nathan »

My roommate and paddling partner has recently expressed getting a new paddle. He is using my back up Werner Bandit which has seen better days. Does anyone know what a great paddle is for a college student with a limited budget?

He is looking at the Aquabound Edge which seems to be a decent enough paddle for the money. Also, has anyone tried a Waterstick? I dont know anyone how has and would like some feedback on the quality, worth the investment, etc. Basically, he needs a good C1 paddle that will last him a couple of years and that has a good weight to it a (he doesnt like it to light or heavy), and worthy the money that is being asked of it. Thanks for all your help guys

nathan
James
C Guru

Post by James »

I have used all of the paddles you mention. Not sure I have much useful advice, as I have broken them all as well, at some point or other.

Aquabound: I agree, great value for the money. Decent blade design, good customer service and blade replacement service, they just made one of mine into a take apart for cheap. I don`t see the benefit of going to the black carbon version, the white version is fine.

Werner: Great feel through the water, poor customer service and poor warrantee support (my experience). Not a durable paddle for major river running or freestyle C1

Waterstick: I got great use out of my carbon waterstick (the new blade design that came out last year). Recently the carbon shaft gave it up, but I notice they are using a different shaft these days, likely more durable. I was on their ambassador team, so clearly I like their paddles alot. I`ve been using the regular waterstick C1 paddle for two weeks now (white blades), more blade flex (and a little less power due to this) than the carbon paddle, but a great paddle for the money. I think this paddle will beat out the aquabound in terms of durability.

Also consider the less expensive galasport paddles. A few friends use them and win rodeos, paddle steep creeks etc.
C1Deli
C Boater

Rough Stuff

Post by C1Deli »

www.roughstuff.ie

Call them and ask for John (the C1 guy) and get a quote on an alloy crankshaft carbon -- it will sound pricey, so also ask for a twintex version -- I like twintex as it is really druable, though a little heavier.

The shaft of course is extremely strong.

/edwin[/i]
______
More nonsense like this at
http://www.biothinking.com/paddle/
C1Deli
C Boater

Schlegel Duralen

Post by C1Deli »

Student tip:

1. Buy a Schlegel Duralen kayak paddle (alu shaft, RIM plastic blades, completely indestructible) for about $80 new or $20 second hand.

2. Chop to length

3. Glue in wood handle (I got a shovel handle from a hardware store for $5)

4. Enjoy and thrash it continually with no worries! Perfectly usable paddle actually ...

/edwin
______
More nonsense like this at
http://www.biothinking.com/paddle/