Wheelboy,a creeker?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc ender
C Guru

Wheelboy,a creeker?

Post by oc ender »

Anyone who has one or paddled one,opinion requested.Was considering a spanish fly or a taureau for river play and creeking.However,i found a Wheelboy for sale in BC and wondered what it's like for downriver and creeking?It looks like fun boat,but is it really an all around boat.And what's a new one worth?
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Re: Wheelboy,a creeker?

Post by squeakyknee »

oc ender wrote:Anyone who has one or paddled one,opinion requested.Was considering a spanish fly or a taureau for river play and creeking.However,i found a Wheelboy for sale in BC and wondered what it's like for downriver and creeking?It looks like fun boat,but is it really an all around boat.And what's a new one worth?
It's a great play boat, down river it's ok but kinda slow for long trips unless there is lot's of play to mix it up in. as far as creakin in it, hmmm. I've taken mine out on some pushy, slightly technical stuff and it just doesn't have the hull speed or volume I would personally want for big drops. it is small enough to get through spots my H3 might have issues, but wouldn't trust myself in it on anything to crazy.
as far as price, I think I paid $1000 for mine couple of years ago, it was a demo but in nearly new condition.
I love the boat and would definately buy another given the chance.
Shawn
Amiga!!
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Thanks for the reply,i kinda assumed the volume might be a problem.I can get one that is slightly used for $870cdn,a steal for you.I guess it'll be a fly or a taureau.By the way,nice pic.What river are you on?
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

oc ender wrote:Thanks for the reply,i kinda assumed the volume might be a problem.I can get one that is slightly used for $870cdn,a steal for you.I guess it'll be a fly or a taureau.By the way,nice pic.What river are you on?
Thanks,
It's Goshen Pass of the Maury river here in Virginia.
Amiga!!
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Taureau vs Wheelboy

Post by Berkshire Jack »

I own both a Taureau and a Wheelboy. Have had the Wheelboy for approx 3 seasons, and just paddled my new Taureau for its first full day, yesterday. The Wheelboy in my opinion and at my level of ability is just a play boat. It is fun. Surfs great. Rolls super easy. Super well balanced, and if you are talented enough - can throw ends from here to eternity - But I would never take it on a creek that is at my limit of ability that has any consequences. It is just too slow and gets stopped by holes that one would want to barrel through if you were in a tight situation.
I bought the Taureau for creeks and high volume rivers. It is very stable, which gives me added psychological boost when the river seems to be pushing me around, rather than the reverse. The Taureau's high volume bow and stern floats to the top after drops. although it is somewhat sticky when it finds a hole big enough. The bulbous ends make it somewhat hard to get out of holes in my opinion, but you can hang out on a side surf forever with little effort as you plan your strategy for escaping. It is not the fastest boat around, but it is way faster than the Wheelboy. The Taureau is very comfortable with its standard outfitting. My seat measures 8 1/4 th inches off the floor coming out of the factory. The Wheelboy is 6 inches. Even with the seat at that height in the Taureau, I don't have the feeling of being too leveraged or tippy. The Taureau does not roll as easily as the Wheelboy or my other C1's, but it does roll easier than other open boats that I have tried. I bought it with the combing to fit a skirt, and I can recommend that feature. I believe that I would be able to get the Taureau up-right in squirrley water, whereas I never get that feeling when rolling other open boats.
I have heard that only 18 Wheelboys got shipped to North America before they stopped making them. If you want a play boat and you are in the right weight range, snap up that puppy before it disappears, because they don't make them much finer. If it is really a creeker that you are after, find a Taureau or something similar.
Hope this helps.
Jack
C1-er
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Excelent description of both boats,in different applications.I appreciate your responces and i believe my mind is made-up.See you in March at Louie's!