c-1s at the Worlds

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Aldenb

c-1s at the Worlds

Post by Aldenb »

so, anyone have any predictions for which C-1 will win the Freestyle Worlds next week? I can't say I know much about any of the Americans, much less their international competitors, but from what I've read I think that Bill McKnight guy sounds like the one to beat.

I think it will be really interesting to compare the top C-1 scores to the top K-1s. i don't know much about scoring or anything, but my guess is that in this year's hole (which by all accounts is really huge and trashy) the C-1s probably will have more trouble catching the kayaks.

It really surprised a slalom guy like myself to see that there are no less than 6 c-1s and 11 k1-men on the Freestyle Team.

Has anyone here ever actually competed in a rodeo? It's funny that there are millions of people in rodeo boats (myself included) in my region (New England) yet there are only two rodeos in the region that I know of. On the other hand nobody paddles slalom boats, yet you can race every weekend from late March until mid-June (and frequently be choosing between races)! it's interesting that for some reason that one form of competition is much more appealing around here than the other. I guess it's just the dearth of good rodeo holes in New England, but no. . . that cant be it!
later
Alden
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I have only ever seen video clips of Bill McNight, however having seen Barry Kennon on the Ocoee a few times and he was probably one of the best rodeo boaters out there (K-1 or C-1). Anyways, as far as the slalom/rodeo thing goes, I've been itching to get in a slalom boat for a while but since I usually live down south (kentucky) I have a shortage of races, as well as a shortage of funds. I almost bough a slalom boat a few months ago, however I then though to myself, where and when the hades will I ever get to paddle this thing. On the other hand, my friend at home and I are somewhat looking for a cheap C-2 if you know of any.
-will
-Watch out where the huskies go, and do not eat that yellow snow.
Aldenb

barry

Post by Aldenb »

yeah i used to run into barry all the time at quarry last summer. he was insanely good -- i mean, he was head-and-shoulders above any of those hot NOC kayak instructors. the difference is that he attacks the hole like nobody ive ever seen -- as in, if you were to float in there while he's cartwheeling, you'd get spit out in little pieces! i mean, for heaven's sakes the guy looks like he's on some serious steriods. but a close friend of his told me that he is actually the "lightweight" of his brothers!

well, i wish him the best

hey will, i thought you live in NH most of the year. theres a shitload of races out there. too bad, i just sold old slalom boat today . . .
later
Alden
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

I wonder if Graham "The Hurricane" Harada is there? If so hope he rips it up!
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
James
C Guru

Post by James »

Graham is there, likely to put on a great show. Also for C1 for Canada is Guilliame and Vincent from Montreal. Let`s see whether those little wave boys get their butts kicked!
bobby d

on tv

Post by bobby d »

will the worlds be on tv this year
im looking forward to seeing it
Ronnie
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

My 2 cents...

Post by Sir Adam »

All the paddlers listed are phenomenal paddlers. But, IMhO THE top c1 freestyle paddler is Paul Danks. Period. We'll C if he starts competing again, and how he stacks up amongst those listed above :D .
Keep the C!
Adam
Aldenb

paul

Post by Aldenb »

fascinating! i just went paddling with a bunch of guys today and they were raving about this fellow, Paul Danks. i kid you not. who the hades is this guy? these are guys i really respect, too, and they were speaking glowingly about him. they said he designed the groove or something

well, fill me in
Alden
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Paul Danks

Post by Sir Adam »

Paul Danks and Ian Thomson designed the Groove-I seem to recall they hashed out the design on a long road trip, and Paul (although disqualified :evil: (again, this is how the tale I heard goes) because the boat was too high volume for squirt, and too low volume for surface) scored 50% higher than the kayakist who won (Ken Whiting?). I think that was '97, but I'm not sure. Hopefully Ian or Paul will appear and correct all my mis-information :o .

Paul did the first Green Grind (in the Groove) and is a phenomenal boater, AND a real nice guy. I had a chance to discuss outfitting and boats with he and Ian a few years ago at the Jimicup, and it was just like talking to knowledgable friends I'd known for years.

If you can track down a Massive (Ian's company that made the Groove) promo tape you'll see Paul (and Ian) having a great time in their grooves. If I can be HALF the paddler Paul is someday, I'll be very, very, very happy. Paul and Ian are also in the "We Designed 'Em video -rainbow glass groove (versus the yellow plastic prototype I think Corran is in)-Paul is a lefty, Ian a righty.
Keep the C!
Adam