New boat for Mike

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Rodeo very wet boat but made to play in those features

Post by Wendy »

I have Viper 11 and had a Rodeo. Loved the Rodeo, but was too wet for using as a down river boat for me. I didn't have a pump. Loved the light weight.
If this doesn't make sense I broke my ankle and foot and am in an altered state of consciousness for pain relief. I hoped such misfortune would bring everyone else in the SE rain.
Last edited by Wendy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: differance?

Post by sbroam »

madmike wrote:can anyone expand on the difference between the Viper 11, and the Rodeo?
About a foot?

http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/whitewater.htm

It just looked like a small Viper to me, but never paddled one. Not sure if it was an actual Frankie boat or if they just took a Viper and chopped it.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Ya, it's a foot shorter, but has .5" more rocker and a half inch more narrow. So, it is less edgy the chine is not as long. It's made to play in a hole. Not a fast boat, but it is light, Royalite. The old ones were only available in Royalite. However, when I talked with Mohawk the other day, the new ones are only in Royalex. for now.
Last edited by c1swim on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dance for rain
madmike
C Guru

mohawk

Post by madmike »

Thanx, I read everything on Mohawk's site, and I am gonna call them. I just wanted some thoughts from paddlers who might know something.
Last edited by madmike on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

Just for info sake, the viper series goes liike this.. mohawk took a viper 12 and removed 1 foot from the middle, put the two halves back together and made it a viper11, then did the same thing again and made a viper 10 or "rodeo". Ive seen the original plugs and you can see the seams where each were cut and put back together . At 220 lbs., I paddled a viper 11 for years and it did just fine. Now in a mega rocker C1 .
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

That's what I thought - the edge must have been more sharply defined in the center and less so towards the ends, thus the reduced edge in the subsequent "chops".
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

thats right. the 12 was edge'er than the 11, and the 11 was edge'er than the rodeo.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

Mike, I'm just curious as to why you want the new boat to be Royalex?

Seems like a Spanish Fly would be great for what you're looking for. I've got two friends who paddle the Fly at over 215# and do great in them.
Parrot Head Paddler
madmike
C Guru

I paddled the 'fly once

Post by madmike »

It was fun, just not what I want. Where do you get one? I have a bunch of royalex, and it works well.
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

pdown2 wrote: You just can't beat a bathtub boat.......they absolutely SUCK in big water though.......or I just absolutely suck in big water, one of the two and probably the latter.
They DO suck in big water, too slow, too low (sides and in the water...).

I manage to run big water Class IV's in my CU fly to get to a play feature but it's truly hair paddling, or very exciting stuff (all relative to your intentions/state of mind...) poping an ender when you're not expecting it in the middle of a juicy rapid :roll:

But I'll keep at the small boats just for their playability :D