One dead leg sorted and one slow boat a problem

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

The Mad Hatters Assistant

One dead leg sorted and one slow boat a problem

Post by The Mad Hatters Assistant »

Well thanks to you all earlier for the advice of raising the Seat height. I lifted it from 6" to 7 1/2". One dead leg solved for an hour and a half (at least) . :D

Now I've seen the odd Slalom and noticed a good C1 Boater will have a better time i.e. be faster than a K1. Ok all well and good. I'm not paddling a Slalom Boat, I'm shuffling along in a Super Ego. As a C1 novice I'm doing Ok, the J-stroke isn't too bad, being a leftie I do gradually move to the left, but as a self taught novice I've still room for improvement (I personally blame it on the Wind down Bristol Docks, well it can't be my fault now can it? :lol: ). The question is having never really paddled a C1 Playboat before does anyone else find they are slower than their K1 counterparts?

Spank Robbie if you are still looking at this forum give me a nudge if you would, and I'll catch you down the Yat.
wayne

Post by wayne »

Kayakers will be faster than us cause they don't need a J-stroke at the end of each stroke which slows us down. The reasion the C1 times in slalom are as good if not better then the K1 is cause in a C1 you have more leaverage and of cause only having one blade you lean how to paddle proper and use water flow to get you there easier.

When I paddle with my local club (full of kayakers) there are a number of rapids that I can catch a eddy easy with only one or two strokes but the kayakers miss them or make it look hard to catch them cause they don't use the water to help them instead they fight agains it all the time. Thats why when you lean that you only need one blade than there is no going back to two, the second blade always gets in the way.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

yeah, I'm slow

Post by Mike W. »

Last summer I had the chance to swap boats on the river. My Big EZ-C-1 for a Big EZ-K-1. I found the K-1 version to be much more stable & much faster, even though I do not paddle K & found that whole off-set blade mess bizar & un-natural.

Mike W.