Adding a bulkhead to an Aftershock.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by Nick
Hey,
Anyone have any thoughts on reoutfitting a Dagger Aftershock. I want to gut one and put in some outfitting like in a Superfly. I was thinking that a getting a seat from Esquif might be my best bet. If anyone owners and Aftershock and has done this, could you send me some tips.
Thanks,
Nick Erb

Posted on Nov 18, 2002, 3:14 PM
Paul Mason made one
by James
Hey Nick! James in Ottawa. Paul Mason has a bulkhead in his aftershock, I`m nearly certain. I`m sure you could set one up just buying your own foam, though you would need quite a bit for the saddle itself. Consider using pieces of cardboard as templates for your legs, trim and cut to size where you would want the bulkhead pieces, then cut the foam to fit. ALOT easier than trying to cut the foam properly the first time. paddling much these days?

Posted on Nov 20, 2002, 6:20 AM
adkSara
christineb
c

Post by christineb »

I put a bulkhead in my Aftershock and it worked out terrifically! I also made a homemade skirt just for the bow and cut my bailing by half!After putting the foam bulkhead in, I finished foaming out the sides as well to help disperse water.
I made a homemade skirt for the bow of my Dagger Aftershock and it has cut my water pumping in half! I used a nylon poncho and some elastic--works great!

Post by Guest »

I think a bulkhead is the only way to go in an Aftershock - I've tried doing things with making the bag cage bigger, but without foaming the walls and a bulkehad, the boat is just a submarine!
OC

Aftershock bulkhead and skirt

Post by OC »

My Aftershock has the Beluga foam seat as well as a belt which I'd definitely recommend.

I added foam to the walls which helps a lot to displace water, and am considering decking off the front part.

Christine- can you tell me more about your homemade skirt- Is it a full skirt that you wear or more of a deck cover?

Thanks, OC
christine

Aftershock

Post by christine »

The skirt I made for my aftershock was just for the bow of the boat--covers the front airbag only. I cut it a little big to allow "lapping over" a seam in which I placed the elastic cord(walmart)--I did drill a tiny hole on each side(just under the lip), close to the thwart so the cord would then feed through the hole on each side, and had an adjustable (plastic) cord thingie'(walmart--like on the cords on your splash top!)This way I can tighten or loosen it to get my airbags in and out.I slipped a little strap of velcro through a little hole in the material on each side of the skirt and through the exposed airbag straps on each side to assure non-slippage when playing in the bigger waves.Oh yeah---I secured those "seams"in the material with duct tape and a touch of aqua seal!I know it sounds confusing, but it was easy! I thought about making them for people with skeeters, superflies,aftershocks, spanish flies and the like. --Hope this helps!