PFD's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mikey B
CBoats Addict

PFD's

Post by Mikey B »

I'm thinking I might get myself a new PFD for Christmas. I really like my old Lotus Lola, but I thought I'd see if there might be something nicer now. What vests do you like/recommend?
Thanks,
Mike
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I really like my old Lotus Sherman (I think that's what it was called), but I have to admit if I was looking for a new PFD I'd not only look at Lotus (now owned by Patagonia I think), but also the NRS ones...I have yet to see one in person, but they sound intriguing...and look comfortable.
Keep the C!
Adam
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

astral vests are very nice. i've got the 300. it's the best vest i've had. no zippers to break, fits super comfy and won't pull over your head. i thought they looked a little bulky before i tried one on. they don't feel that way.
made by the guy that started and sold lotus to patagucci.
Larry
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Check out Sandiline, Super comfy, low profile designs. You can get them through Davey Hearn.
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Yes yes yes. The Sandilines are nice. I have one--quite comfortable and low profile, but only really use it for training and racing because I am somewhat doubtful as to how much good it would do if I were swimming down a rapid. Plus it doesn't really float me on my back. There is a note inside which reads "Gor competent swimmers only. Not intended to save the life of an unconscious person," or something like that.
Use one of the Lotus Shermans for regular paddling. I've been quite happy with it.

Nate
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If you can get somewhere to try them on, do so! I liked my Sherman, but it tended to ride up so when I went shopping for a new one I paid particular attention to that. [The fit problem might have something to do with Dunlop Disease.] Where I went there were some Astrals and a few Patagonia - the Astral's were comfortable but of those they had in stock that fit me, they were missing parts. I ended up picking a Patagonia Rio Grande - it fits well, has a lot of floatation and I really like having a front zipper again.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I really like my Swiftwater Professional Vest Type V model PHA-2 by Swiftwater Inc. made in USA.
However, Swiftwater was purchased by Extrasport. So, when the time comes, perhaps the Swiftwater Fury type V by Extrasport. They look the same by the pic in the NRS catalog. That or the Rapid Rescuer type V by NRS. It looks nice also. Both are front zip with 22lbs of flotation.
dance for rain
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

being a rep for peak... I use a peak rivervest or airlite pro. both are about 16lbs of flotation. super low profile, but I really liked the stohlquist Brisk I had, low profile, 18 lbs of flotation, and uninhibiting my range of motion.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

Mike, you might want to consider one of the Astrals with the kapok flotation. I recently bought the LDB-1, and I do believe it is the most comfortable PFD I've ever worn. I figured that it might be bulky, but, unlike PFDs with foam flotation, it conforms to the body. I also bought the optional booster pack with which gives the system a total of 23 pounds of flotation. This might just come in handy next time I go swimming in the Ocoee. :(

Terry P.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Above all else, what he said:
sbroam wrote:If you can get somewhere to try them on, do so!
I really like my Astral Tempo 200. VERY comfortable :D It's a front zip, but there's a belt under the zipper that actually holds the thing together so there's not much tension on the zipper. The shoulder straps are soft & don't chew up my neck / collar. There are no buckles on the shoulder straps to catch your helmet strap. There are two zippered pockets on the front, one has a bungee loop for truck keys. Behind those pockets are hand-warmer pockets.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

I use an MTI riptide for most paddling, once on you don't even know it's there. 16 lbs 10 oz floatation.

http://www.mtiadventurewear.com/product ... iptide.php

For the oh god I'm screwed if I swim, their Big Bouy comes out. It's more compact feeling than the B-22, and has 26lbs of high-float.

http://www.mtiadventurewear.com/product ... igbuoy.php

I'm also playing with a Palm Tourtec, but not in big water (16 lbs 8oz floatation). It's a little more open than the Riptide, but has some low forward bulk that I feel with cross-bow strokes.

http://www.palmequipmentusa.com/acatalog/PFDs.html
madmike
C Guru

Extrasport Swiftwater Ranger

Post by madmike »

The Swiftwater Ranger is my comfort choice, and it is a great Swimmer!
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Yes, I had a Ranger. Nice vest. I replaced it with the Phantom 2.
As I said, I like the Swiftwaters.
dance for rain
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Is it just me or are all these vests on the market nowadays looking like ten pounds of you-know-what in a five pound bag? How many bells and whistles can we cram into a simple life vest? People look more like they are going climbing instead of paddling. I am a minimalist myself, in fact I even think my Sandliline has too much "stuff" on it. My favorite vest was my old mid 80's Prijon, which merely had a waist cinch.

Yes, I know, these racing vest are not very safe, not enough floatation etc. I accept that.

OK, rant off...
Marc Evans
C Guru

PFDs Revisited

Post by Marc Evans »

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I have a question. I currently have an extrasport vest with the full torso floatation, much like the extrasport saber. Works well, but is in need of replacement. So, I went to the NRS showroom last weekend and tried on just about every pfd they have. I found the the low profile designs like the astral tempo 200 and the aquavest 300 to be very comfortable, but wonder if having the floatation so low (and bulky) on the torso causes any problems with paddle strokes or rolling up. Anyone got an opinion about this.

Marc