Left or Right

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I write with my right hand so I paddle on the left and control the paddle with my right hand via the T-grip. How do you right side paddlers control your paddles if you normally write with your right hand?
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

I am right handed and paddle on the left. This has probably helped make my off-side stoking (blade on right side with right hand control of the T-grip) stronger and improved the finesse on my off-side as well.
I started on the left side because my brother and C2 partner got the preference and he wanted the right side. I thought I was giving him a break but it probably worked out to my advantage in the long run :) .
SYOTR,
Bruce
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Jim Michaud wrote:I write with my right hand so I paddle on the left and control the paddle with my right hand via the T-grip. How do you right side paddlers control your paddles if you normally write with your right hand?
..... doesn't take much coordination to turn a t-grip.
:roll: if you can't even turn a t grip with your left hand, how do you tie your shoes? :wink:
Larry
Aaron M
C Boater

Post by Aaron M »

Jim Michaud wrote:I write with my right hand so I paddle on the left and control the paddle with my right hand via the T-grip. How do you right side paddlers control your paddles if you normally write with your right hand?
I use my right hand to control the blade more, and my left hand for leverage and power. I'm not sure if that an effective way, but it makes it easy for eddy-out strokes and bow/stern prys.
I saw a duck skirt a hole and then eddy out. He could have easily flown. Makes you wonder, why'd he do that?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Larry Horne wrote:
..... doesn't take much coordination to turn a t-grip.
:roll: if you can't even turn a t grip with your left hand, how do you tie your shoes? :wink:
Me'thinks you've missed the point... it's not that you can't

playing guitar (that takes both hands)
some can switch hit (a baseball)
i can hammer, drill, and use a screwdriver in my left hand
even manage to write other handed
and adequately type with either hand by itself

however i can-NOT do any near as good as with my dominate side; nor react near as quickly or instinctive
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

philcanoe, good point about the guitar...my feelings exactly. both hands are doing important stuff.
BUT, i think it takes so little dexterity to control paddle angle that it doesn't matter if your left handed or right handed.
i hear you right handed leftys say you control the paddle with your t-grip. maybe you do, but it seems to me like the shaft hand actually does more coordinated work, as in placing the paddle, bracing, rolling. shaft hand runs the show.
admit it... you leftys are just a little more off than the rest of us :wink:

i guess i should add that i'm a right handed righty... and so patheticly one sided that i could not paddle left to save my life!
Larry
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Which side

Post by Mikey B »

Another Right-handed right side paddler here. Although I don't mind pretending to be a lefty :D
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

As I said earlier, left-handed and paddle right in WWOC1 or C1. As stated, I believe this is for optimum blade control thru the T-grip.
In my first 20+ yrs of paddling in various tandems (sometimes solo) or my 14ft. Rikken Chief (raft); it didn't matter to me which side I paddled on. Usually, which ever side was opposite my partner or was needed for crucial moves. And, as a raft guide; sitting, straddled on the back tube; I paddled which-ever way worked for my tan.
As a lefty, in a right-handed world, I am ambidextrous.( As a child in Kindergarten, I was forced (hit) and made to write with my right hand. No lefty desks or scissors, ect.) I feel this is an advantage.
Especially playing darts for money. ha!
All that said, I feel your dominate hand should control all the subtle blade angles required for small boat WW paddling and my cross strokes have always felt very comfortable and strong since I started paddling solo boats. However, I will be working on surfing with my right hand on the T-grip thanks to this thread. This will allow me to play in some holes that I have always avoided.
Thanks for the push.
dance for rain
Dave C
c

Right or left

Post by Dave C »

I'm right handed, but paddle left. I figure you have better control of the t-grip with your dominant hand.

I used to surf goofy-footed in another life.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Goofy-foot from way back. Where's the hurricane?
dance for rain
Dave C
c

goofy foot

Post by Dave C »

It was another time and another place
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Right handed
Paddle Left, most of the time

I surprised with the number of replies--good to see interest.

I also liked the first post regarding the J stoke being a left side stroke.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Right handed, but paddle lefty. I've done a couple of 20+ mile flatwater trips and never switched sides.

I don't think it is that odd that right handers prefer to paddle on the left. Think of a baseball swing, a golf swing, or even the way most righties swing an axe, or rake the yard. ;) I think it's less to do with control of the T-grip than with being familiar with that shoulder rotation thing on the left side. ;)
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I roll both ways, that could be misconstrued...
I have a stronger forward stroke righty, but I think that is a muscle/technique thing that I am working on. I am paddling more kayak now, and my left side is getting stronger. for me the reason I am righty, is the contortion of my body, this way it just feels better.
who knows.
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

right handed, right side

Post by ohioboater »

I paddle on the right and am right handed. It just seemed natural to do it that way when I learned. I've also got a bad right shoulder that gets inflamed easily if I paddle with my right hand on top, so not much choice even if I did want to switch.

My right handed daughter is the same way - frustrates her to have to paddle on the left when tandeming with me. She's just more coordinated with her left hand on top.