Perception saddle for temp. conversion??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

amollohan99
Pain Boater

Perception saddle for temp. conversion??

Post by amollohan99 »

Is a perception saddle any good for a temporary conversion (Wavesport EZG50), or is it too heavy, bulky, a waste of time, effort, treasure, etc?? I have a Hull I am looking for options.

Cheers,

Andy

PS Acrobat's are SWWWWEEEETTT!!!
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

It doesn't seem like that saddle would fit into anything other than an open boat, unless I'm thinking of a totally different Perception saddle. Its the big bulky one right.?, if so my guess is its not worth the effort. Also probably way too tall.
Just my thoughts
:D B
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

There are 2 main types of Perception saddles out there. There is one that is pretty much OC1 specific. It's the one that there was a post on recently for an e-bay item ( OK...actually 3, that one is longer, but the other OC looks similar w/out the seat on top).

The other was used originally in Dagger Cascades and Atoms (factory C1s). These are used a LOT in conversions and I don't think anyone here would argue against using one. These don't have thigh hooks, and are wide and low black plasic base plate, with a rise for a seat / leg spreader/ support structure/anchor point. Should be easy to install and/or move from boat to boat. Basically, the base is wide/long enough to mount your knee pads/ankle supports on.

My.00002 cents worth ;)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Actually... Perception had two *C-1* [edit] saddles - the one in the Gyramax, most factory conversions, and the one in *some* Slashers - it was a pedestal designed for use with straps. Then there was the one in *most* Slashers - it was a bulk head type. Not sure if that one would work well in anything but a Slasher. I'm not sure if the first one was ever available from Perception except in a boat - I was told once by Woody (I think) that they wouldn't sell it solo because of liability concerns.

The *C-1 saddle* [edit] in the *Dagger* Atom and Cascade (and *also in the OC-1s* [edit] Quake and Aftershock and ???) was a different design - maybe better. It *was* available separately at least for some time. I heard once that Eric at Angst/kayakouttfitting.com was trying to get the mold but don't think that ever happened.

*The OC-1 saddles Perception made would not be suitable for C-1 conversion at all - I assume the original poster is talking about the C-1 saddle, often times salvaged from old Gyramaxes* [edit]
Last edited by sbroam on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron M
C Boater

Post by Aaron M »

Are you talking about the one with the thigh braces and thwart mounts? From what i've seen in c1's, it looks like it would be too tall, both seat wise and overall. The seat is about 8" high and the thwart mounts are about 12-14". I doubt it would even fit unless you cut down the tractor seat, and thwart mounts. Even then 8" is a bit high.
I saw a duck skirt a hole and then eddy out. He could have easily flown. Makes you wonder, why'd he do that?
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

At one time Perception made a C-1 saddle very similar to the Dagger saddle. They sold it through their accessories line, Harmony and sold it for paddlers who were interested in conversions. The only difference that I ever noticed between it and a Dagger saddle was that the Perception saddle came without a foam seat or back rest. Those conveniences had to be made and added at the time of conversion. I bought possibly the last two they had just before they closed the facility in South Carolina.
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

OK,
Yes it is similar to the one I saw an Ebay and posted the link to the other day. But, the one I can have, if I can use it, is the shorter version I believe. The OC saddle with the small bulkhead in the front. I take it NO is the answer. I am better off using mini, yes? Straps or no straps, that is the question???

Andy

Get out there while we can!!!
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

OR,... does anyone have one of those gyro saddles, willing to trade??
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Trade for what?