Mad River ME !!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Mad River ME !!

Post by squeakyknee »

Finally picked up the Mad River ME from a guy up in Nethers, Va.
He said that it is from 1980-81. It needs a good bit of work, but is in really great shape considering it is 27 years old.
It needs new gunnels; the originals are pretty much rotted away.
And it has 4 good sized cracks on the outer hull around the chines, but none all the way through to the inside.
Im gonna try to use epoxy and s-glass to fix them, then cover the areas with 1/16th ABS to protect the areas. bothe ends have multiple skid plates and seem to bee firmly attached still.(the hull is actually cut away underneath, I'm guessingh from extreme damage)
As far as the gunnels go, I'm still up in the air on making new ones or buying vinyl for now. Being a carpenter by trade I'm really thinking of wood again, but want to get it on the water ASAP.
Amiga!!
openboater
c

Try Plastic Weld...

Post by openboater »

Since the cracks don't go all the way through, I recommend trying Plastic Weld found in the hardware store with the two part epoxys and such. Just v-notch out the cracks with a utility knife and fill. The stuff sets up very fast. After, you can sand it flat and smooth and paint it. If you really want to do a more structural repair using cloth, I recommend making patches using Kevlar with the ABS resin. When putting cloth patches on a canoe, I always try to convince people to put the patch on the inside of the canoe as exterior patches may affect performance (and looks like a$$). With the structural patch on the inside, you can do cosmetic work on the outside as described above with Plastic Weld or ABS resin. By the way, are the cracks amidships or in the ends? Amidships would definately present more stuctural concern, especially if broached.

I have wood rails for the ME if you're in the Northeast. I assume that the original ABS decks are still okay.

Just some thoughts.

openboater
open boat, open mind
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Make wood gunwales! Finding some good ash stock may be the hardest part. I've been able to get it from cabinet shop / suppliers. Heck, I've done it to ME's three times. You don't have to make them as oversized as I did this last time, though...
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Re: Try Plastic Weld...

Post by squeakyknee »

openboater wrote: If you really want to do a more structural repair using cloth, I recommend making patches using Kevlar with the ABS resin. openboater
Think I'm gonna go with the ABS paste and Sglass. the maybe put some armor out of 1/16 ABS over it if need be
openboater wrote:
By the way, are the cracks amidships or in the ends? Amidships would definately present more stuctural concern, especially if broached.
I have wood rails for the ME if you're in the Northeast. I assume that the original ABS decks are still okay.
openboater
The cracks are mid-ship and about 2ft long, It has wood decks on either end and I will probably make new ones from Ash and Walnut pieces.
Amiga!!
madmike
C Guru

Rails

Post by madmike »

I have wood gunwales all milled up (just finished my ME) in Sherburne, NY 13460
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Just finished my third ME. This one is outfitted for 1.5 with wood gunnels and kneeling thwarts to keep it lite.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Re: Rails

Post by squeakyknee »

madmike wrote:I have wood gunwales all milled up (just finished my ME) in Sherburne, NY 13460
Hmmm, are they for sale???
madmike
C Guru

wood guwales, got plenty for sale.

Post by madmike »

Yes they are for sale, don't know how to ship them though. I also have SS screws, thwarts, seats etc. I even have some glue in knee pads, all for sale.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

You could stop wasting your time and energy by just buying a Salsa.
Jkaz
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

kaz wrote:You could stop wasting your time and energy by just buying a Salsa.
Jkaz
LOL!! Oh, so yo have an OC-2 Salsa?? I'll take it,
How many gold soverigns will that be please....
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

squeakyknee wrote:How many gold soverigns will that be please....
twice as many as a Shaggy Designs boat.
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
hammerhead
C Guru

ME WOOD GUNNELS

Post by hammerhead »

MY 2 CENTS

I REPLACED THE WOOD GUNWALES ON A 1987? MR "ME" 10 YRS AGO, AND THEY HAVE SERVED ME WELL. BOAT H/B PROPERLY STORED DURING OFF SEASON.THE ONE THING DONE DIFFERENT THAT SEEMED TO HELP W/ THE ROTT/MILDEW UNDER THE GUNWALES, WAS A COLORED MARINE PAINT. THIS WAS COVERED BY A QUALITY VARNISH THAT HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. THIS WAS DONE ONLY ON THE UNDERSIDE TO MANAIN THE BEAUTY OF THE WOOD TOPSIDE. GOOD LUCK, HARD PART W/B FINDING A SOLID PC OF ASH.

WHET DREAMS...HH

note: a long winter means a HIGH spring :)
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

OK, I have gotten the Goop mixed just right I believe. I've started with one layer of glass and goo and will prolly put one more.
The neat thing with this stuff is it seems to harden even at cold temps vs. epoxy which would never harden as cold as it has been.
Amiga!!
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I wonder if that concoction would be good for protecting the high wear spots on a composite boat.
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

OK, I have finally gotten most of the patches done. I just need to put a couple more coats on.
I've decided to try using some nice tight grained Fir for the 1st set of rails and see how that goes befofe I invest in some nice Ash ones. Here are some pics of before I cleaned it up, and after I got most of the patches almost finished.