Question - what do open boaters wear on their feet.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

yarnellboat wrote: When you say neoprene bootie that wears out the bottom, do you just mean neoprene sock? If so, get something with some sole.
I wear these

[img]http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Produ ... 553911.jpg[/img]
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Me too, but I don't have a problem with them wearing out. Maybe it's because I use toe cups instead of foot pegs? Eventually they wear out somewhere, but they last me a few seasons for sure, maybe 5 or more, and they're pretty cheap.

For me, I find they're a good balance of warm, supportive, soft, durable and affordable - I haven't ever thought of needing to try anything else.

PY.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Craig Smerda wrote:Kaz's thongs :lol:
EEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Oh, you mean flip-flop type thongs...or do you??????

OC-1, C-1, it matters not, barefoot is the only way to paddle, regardless of weather or temperature.
Marc Evans
C Guru

NRS ATB Workboots and Rodeo Socks

Post by Marc Evans »

Colin,

I have an old pair of NRS ATB Workboots, which are very similar to the MEC neoprene shoes you have. I used them for several years with yakima foot braces without a wear problem. I now use the NRS Rodeo Socks without foot pegs in my OC1 and C1, as I prefer to lay my feet flat. The Workboots are good for portages, but not great. They are not as comfortable as the Rodeo Socks, which slip on (no zipper), and are more comfortable laying flat. The Rodeo Socks are good for across the parking lot or gravel road type portages. They have a rubber sole with padding, but clearly are not made for good foot support or long rough portages.

You need to realize that I have NRS gear because the store and warehouse are only 10 minutes from my home. So, when I need to drool over some gear I head on over. This is why I have NRS gear - the folks there have been good to me and the gear has held up well. Also, I know that I can always find something in the bargin barrel - last week it was an extra pair of Rodeo Socks ($7).

The MEC shoes look good to me, so you might try to figure out why they are wearing, and as eddyhops suggested, maybe a wear patch is a good idea.

Good luck

Marc
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

yarnellboat wrote:Me too, but I don't have a problem with them wearing out. Maybe it's because I use toe cups instead of foot pegs? Eventually they wear out somewhere, but they last me a few seasons for sure, maybe 5 or more, and they're pretty cheap.

For me, I find they're a good balance of warm, supportive, soft, durable and affordable - I haven't ever thought of needing to try anything else.

PY.
Do you mean something like this:

Can you post a pic up with your foot actually in it?
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Let's go paddle the Ottawa next weekend, Jim. I'm sure those tough feet wouldn't mind hiking through a few feet of snow :P

Nate
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Colin, Yeah, those & those, exactly those. But you'll just have to visualize my foot....

I paddle with my feet flat, and my toes in the cups.

The wear I have on my booties is on the sides, on the outside I think, probably from where it rubs the outside of the toe cup, but for $28 I'm happy with the number of seasons they last me.

Old - I dare you to go barefoot here! I forgot my booties a while ago and paddled just in my socks, unbearably cold water.

PY.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

Yarnellboat,
a little off topic..... When your feet are flat, are the bottom of your feet, facing up, toward the North Water emblem on the top of the toe block? I've always wondered how those work.

Ryan.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Nate wrote:Let's go paddle the Ottawa next weekend, Jim. I'm sure those tough feet wouldn't mind hiking through a few feet of snow :P

Nate
Ah, Nate - remind Natalie and me to tell you the story of paddling once in February...nothing like seeing blood in the snow from your feet, but not feeling the cuts from the ice and rocks because your feet are numb. :wink:
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yes, feet flat, bottoms up, exactly as you'd imagine somebody sitting if they said "I kneel with my feet flat", I think there's only one way to do that.

Interesting, I thought most people paddled with their feet flat.

Old, I too have cut my bare feet walking through crusty snow, but sitting in ice water for hours was too much - give me booties on these rivers!

PY.
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

thick wool socks, then drysuit booties, then over sized neoprene socks then really over sized MEC swellies.

In the summer its just neoprene socks and old,lightweight hikers. IO think I might give the keens a shot this summer.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

yarnellboat wrote:Yes, feet flat, bottoms up, exactly as you'd imagine somebody sitting if they said "I kneel with my feet flat", I think there's only one way to do that.

Interesting, I thought most people paddled with their feet flat.

Thanks, I wasn't really sure how the toe blocks worked. I use foot pegs and kneel with my toes curled forward towards the front of the boat. I guess I'm just a freak. (no comments Dan. or Colin!)

Ryan.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Used to do it with my toes planted and bottom of foot wedged against the Yakima footbrace and heel up in the air. (It seems all my boats have come that way) and I never really "personalized" the outfitting.

Then I started paddling the wife's Quake and needed to put them flat (bottoms up!) due to lack of footpegs. Felt better even if I was struggling to find a way to brace them.

Got myself the Taureau. I took out the factory-Yakimas, fashioned a set of ankle blocks (using specs off a web-product) and glued them in. Still got to find a good way install a bracing block. Any ideas?
Aaron M
C Boater

works pretty well.

Post by Aaron M »

I wear normal socks, then polyester/synthetic wool socks, then drysuit booties, then nrs attack shoes. As long as it's above 37 degrees my feet stay fine. Under that and they get pretty numb. My dad has muk-luks which are waterproof as long as water doesn't get in over the top. He says they work great, very warm.
I saw a duck skirt a hole and then eddy out. He could have easily flown. Makes you wonder, why'd he do that?
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Recipe for Happy Feet

Post by boatbuster »

#1 DRYSUIT booties. I will never own another drysuit with ankle gaskets since gluing a pair of NRS latex socks in my drysuit. It is the best

#2 Wear thick wool socks inside the drysuit booties.

#3 Wear a thick pair of neoprene booties such as NRS Cross 4... I have a pair of those now and they are comfy and grip rocks pretty well. Or choose your own favorite water shoe, because your feet are going to stay warm and dry!