Need Advice! Soon to be OC1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

tread_water

Need Advice! Soon to be OC1

Post by tread_water »

Okay so, my wife wants to become an OC1er. The problem is that I am a K1er and have no clue as to how you know which boat is right for you. I need help!

The good part is that she is not completely without experience. She has been a raft guide and kayaker; knows, understands, and loves the river and is just looking for something new. I would consider her to be a class II-IV boater and she will probably be on class II-III+ most of the time. She is 5'2" around 105 lbs (back off guys!!) and she is pretty tough for her size (again, back off).

You guys seem to be 1 with the C (no pun intended) so if you would be so kind as to help me out I would greatly appreciate it and will try to return the favor (again, no pun intended).

Thanks,
Christian- Nashville, TN
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Her size makes her ideal for probably the hardest boat to find--a used Dagger Phantom. I say used, because Dagger no longer makes canoes and no other manufacturer has picked up the design.

Another boat to look into would be an Evergreen Solito. It's only 9'11" and is light.

If from her kayaking she has good balance, an Esquif Zoom would be worth looking into. For her at her size, it's going to be an entirely different experience than for a man of 190 pounds. I would think it would be a lot less edgy for her.

My own wife, who is 5'5" and around 140, paddles a Bell Ocoee and likes it quite a bit. It's 11'2", but light.

Another boat to look into if she likes to play a lot is an Esquif Taureau.

The big thing is to try a bunch of boats and see what feels good. While many of us lower our seats to get a lower center of gravity, she may need to be sure to get a seat high enough that she gets a good paddle angle.
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

I have an Esquif Detonator and its great. I have had some female friends paddle it and they were fine in it. I would say that its not the best boat to learn in. Really edgy and requires some commitment to the boat. The Esquif Paradigm is a great boat too. I know a lady (about her size) that paddles a Mad River Outrage and likes it. I know someone who has a Solito and its an awesome little boat....grab that it you can. Great to surf, run and creek in. Plus its pretty forgiving. All the best.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I agree on something like a Phantom, Solito or Viper 11. An Outrage is at least narrow enough, but getting big, and it would be easier to find.

I know some small women who have found hulls like a Detonator too deep & boxy.

Good luck, PY.
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

For women's boats two things immediately come to mind, narrow and light. Your wife, I'm betting her arms are not as long as a typical guy's. She is going to be much happier in a narrower boat. Being light herself, paddling a barge would be frustrating, especially since most women have excellent technique and are able to initiate moves from the hips much better than men. A heavy boat does not reward this technique as much. So when looking, this might provide something to look for.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

mad river outrage= light, narrow.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Mad River Outrage?! don't know about that. ... i guess if you compare it to a tandem it's small.

Bell Prodigee is a great boat for small ppl. But it's a more intermediate boat AFAIK. As well there's the Esquif Zoom, that'd probably be pretty good for her size. I'd say you're gonna want to keep it under 10 feet.
-- Cya
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

One word for you... DEMO

Check with NOC or with Eli from Esquif... have her try out a few boats to make sure the boat fits her before plunking down your cash. There's been a few good suggestions thus far... but let her make the final decision. You'll be a much happier husband later.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Craig's right about a demo. I'd also add that you might look into a class. OC-1 isn't rocket science, but it's a different style from kayaks and rafts.

Taking a day clinic will let you learn some tricks, play in boats, and by the end you'll be much more informed on what you're looking for in a boat.

FYI, in terms of rafters/ kayakers coming into OC-1, take your skill level down a notch. If you're a solid class IV kayaker, you'll find a similar challenge in class III with open boats.

Two boats worth a serious peek:
Esquif Zephyr - very light, not cutting edge but comfortable
Esquif Taureau - still light, far more responsive

Even though she's strong, a heavy beast will control her and she needs it to be the other way around.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Eric Nyre wrote:Taking a day clinic will let you learn some tricks, play in boats, and by the end you'll be much more informed on what you're looking for in a boat.
Absolutely. A day clinic would be another very wise investment... and help translate some of those double bladed skills into the c-mode as to not start off with some bad habits right off the bat. Which also means... don't let her go paddling with Louie. :lol:
tread_water

Huge Props to this Site!

Post by tread_water »

Wow, this site rocks! :o Not naming any names, much better than others responses. Thanks for the info, I will pass it along and let her start doing the day dreaming.

By the way, where can I find a good OC1 class; NOC? Anywhere else?

Again, thanks for the response. Looks like most of you are out west, too bad that everything is frozen out there. We just got two inches over night and the watersheds were all ready topping out!

That last comment is only because I am jealous that you guys get to carve turns all winter!

Have a good ride!
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Also consider the Esquif Spark. It's narrow, light and very fast. Plenty of volume for 110 lbs.
Bob P
bamaboater
Pain Boater

Post by bamaboater »

If you are in the SEern region, I don't know of a better place to demo boats AND take an OC lesson than the NOC. Plus it's right on the Nantahala, which is a great river to learn on. If I were in your shoes that's where I'd go if it were in driving distance.

Two birds, one stone.

If anyone else knows of a river shop that demos and instructs, post up.
Deb R
C Boater

Post by Deb R »

I'm 5'2", and I love my Ocoee. I also have a Outrage, which also was a great boat for me. I just happen to like the Ocoee better, but I don't think it's because of my height but more because of the way the boat handles. Either of those are fine for short folks...

BTW, good instruction can be found at MKC if you want to go to Canada.

Deb
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Class 2-4 what? creek or volume?
I'm 5'3" 115lbs and paddle an Outrage. Love the boat but if the Southern creeks are what you're looking at I'd go for a shorter boat especially if she wants to play. I find mine too big for the interesting eddies but I'm just starting to paddle creeks. Same goes for the Bell prodigiy; nothing longer than an Ocoee would be my two cents.
Det, ocoee, Zephur, I tried my hubby's Taureau and loved it but it's creeking centered.
A number of the ladies I paddle with found the zoom had a steep learning curve. It can do alot of neat things in a skilled paddlers hands but rent or borrow one first and try
The Zephur can have the gunwales cut down an inch. A couple of the verticlly challenged women like myself have that. Super light boat...but she's a raft guide, not like she needs light weight.
Carole Westwood was a kayaker before she brought OC-1 into her list of accomplishments. She would be a good person to contact as she is very familiar with the Esquif products and is a oc-1 slalom racer as well.