Can I carry a canoe paddle on an airplane?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

c1w
c

Can I carry a canoe paddle on an airplane?

Post by c1w »

I am flying US Air to north carolina this weekend -- there is already a boat there that I can use. I need to bring my paddle though. I don't have anything to check beside my paddle (56" long). Does anyone know if I can carry this on? (Would homeland security consider it a weapon? Can you carry on a baseball bat? hmm...)

I will call them but I know what you hear on the phone and what they tell you at the ticket counter are often different! Any advice? :-?

Thanks!!!
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

I am very interested in the answer to this question.

I've seen people take skateboards on a plane.

I'd take a skateboard over a paddle in a fight any day. Less reach but a truck to the dome would hurt way more than a paddle blade IMO. I don't know if that's how airport security judges the acceptability of carry-on items but it makes sense to me that if you can make a case that your carry-on item is less deadly than something else allowed than it should be cool.
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

Check out www.tsa.gov. I would check the paddle as cargo... leaving it at the counter is not an option.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

More specifically : http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... ems.shtm#5

Based on what they show under sporting goods, I'd say "check it".
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Break it and it becomes a nice spear especially wood or put
blade over pointed shaft and pull off or break shaft
No I don't think they would like that :)
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

I tried to carry my paddle on in a flight in Canada a couple years ago. I was busted, I had to check it.

Pack it well, it should be fine.
-- Cya
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Tried to. Failed. No dice Laura.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

I packed 2 mitchells and a werner for a trip from Montana to Maine in a ski bag. I recieved conficting info from websites, the airline and the Missoula airport. I decided not to try the carry-on, though it seemed safer for the gear. There was even some question as to if they would take it as checked luggage because the combined length and girth exceeded the limits. I took into the Missoula airport days ahead of the trip and they said it was fine but wouldn't guarantee coming back from Bangor. It all worked out but was somewhat stressful because I couldn't get a straight answer. I would consider taping your good paddle to a lesser paddle with a little bit of padding. Can't hurt and won't cost you any more. Ski bags should be cheap right now. Have a good trip.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

pre-9/11 it was not a problem, and I frequently left my paddled up front where the steward / stewardesses keep their coats:)

Sounds like that won't work anymore, though.

And yes, you DO get a lot of looks walking through an airport with a garment bag on one shoulder, and a paddle in the other hand....
Keep the C!
Adam
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

I never had a problem on domestic Canadian flights. I have carried both paddles and hockey sticks. US flights might be a different story. You guys tend to have very enthusiastic law enforcement.
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

jroneil wrote:Break it and it becomes a nice spear especially wood or put
blade over pointed shaft and pull off or break shaft
No I don't think they would like that :)
I'll still take on your paddle spear with my skateboard.