Float bags-- light nylon versus vinyl

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Float bags-- light nylon versus vinyl

Post by ezwater »

I've owned a bunch of Voyageur light coated Nylon float bags, and they've been acceptably durable, though kinda costly.

I'll soon need some big float bags, and I'm wondering, are lightweight Nylon bags really much lighter than vinyl bags?!? And are they more durable than vinyl?

There's no doubt the best Nylon bags are lighter when they are inflated dry. But they don't stay dry, as we all know. The outer surface gets wet, and the side and under surfaces get wet and stay wet where they rest against the hull.

Water runs off vinyl bags, and the bag to boat interface should hold less water weight for vinyl bags than for Nylon bags. Maybe, once light Nylon bags are wet, they have little or no weight advantage over vinyl. :o

As for durability, the leaks I find developing in my lightweight Nylon bags are usually related to me forgetting to keep them properly blown up while driving, so that the fabric whips and rumples in the wind. Repetitive stress cuts through the fancy coating. Do people using vinyl bags have that kind of problem? (Don't ask me to take the bags out while driving. I don't need to develop obsessive-compulsive disorder.)

What do you think? Are lightweight Nylon bags really lighter, and really more durable?
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

I've switched from Nylon to Urethane from NRS. So far no problems, they're very light and seem to hold up well. Like Vinyl they flex a little, and don't hold water. Like nylon they're lightweight and expensive.

If weight isn't an issue, old thick vinyl was good. New thin vinyl doesn't seem to hold up.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I really like the NRS bags. As a disclaimer, I started working for NRS about two months ago. But before I worked here I go some for my Esquif and loved them. I was hard on them - over-inflated, under-inflated in the boat cross country, etc. and had no problems. The next shipment is also supposedly going to incorporate a dump valve, finally.

Gabe
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

the grey NRS bags are strong. have a bud who's gunnels got totally 45 degree tweeked when the sun expanded the already full airbag (left it stored that way). I'da thought it would split a seam before bending aluminum. I say nylon or the NRS, both about the same $$$. vinyl doesn't hold up as well , are heavy right out the gate, and can delam (i think). Obsessive-compulsive about airbags? too late for me! :D
paddlr
red boat ready
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I found my old Voyageur catalog, and it describes their premium fabric as "An American-made nylon with ultraviolet and mildew inhibitors buit-i that uses laminations of urethane instad of vinyl or a urethane coating.......Several distinct laminations of urethane make the fabric guaranteed pin hole free...." Though, as we know, it may develop pin hole leaks if rumpled enough.

Recent nylon/urethane bags I have seen appear to be coated, outside and inside.

I would welcome additional reports of experience with vinyl. At one time, Voyageur all-vinyl bags had a pretty good reputation.
madmike
C Guru

NRS bags

Post by madmike »

We got some NRS bags for our University program. They are OK, but that lack of a dump valve is a killer. It takes us a helluva lot of time to inflate them and deflate them. I just ordered a bunch of bags from Mohawk, we will see how they do.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Mohawk bags are the best I ever had. Tried a couple of brands, but most of them deflate overnight or just don't hold long enough. Mohawk bags are strong and don't deflate! I don't think you'll regret the mohawk bags ;-)
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Does anyone know where I can get Voyageur bags these days? I always liked them because they are a lighter nylon. Mohawk bags, Giai bags, Beluga bags are all heavier. I had a set of the NRS bags last year. They are light, durable and don't leak, but the lack of the the dump valve is far too frustrating!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Doug, even the last set of Voyageur bags I bought came without dump valves. However, they were 30" 3D, so maybe they figured that small bags didn't really need a dump valve.

I always suspected dump valves were a source of slow leaks, but I can't prove it.