Where does one go from here?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Attila
c

Post by Attila »

I have been paddling my Zephyr for about two years now, I have a 99.9% role in the pool. Zephyr is a very nice, fast, and in my opinion very forgiving first boat to learn. But where does one go from here? My question is what is the next logical step to accelerate my learning? Do I stay with OC1 or should I try C1. The only other boat I tried was a Spanish Fly which I liked very much for its playfulness. I am 6' tall and 240lb.

Thanks

Attila
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing -- Henry David Thoreau
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

It depends on where you want to take it. There is no 'logical step' per se to take, i.e. it all depends on what direction you want to take your boating to. Are you more interested in riverrunning or playing? Are you drawn towards running big water or is it more low volume steep creeks that appeal to you? What your next step should be depends on where you want to take your boating to.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Attila
c

Post by Attila »

A bit of every thing. River running for sure but I also like to park and play. With the rivers that I am running (Elora Gorge,Lower Madawaska,)
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing -- Henry David Thoreau
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

from there...

I'd suggest paddling it anywhere and everywhere, until completely worn out and useless... then you'll know
keez
C Guru

Learning curve

Post by keez »

Attila,
Lets meet at Palmerfest, you can try my S. Fly again. Great boat for park-n-play, long as I can borrow the Zephyr for slalom.
Geoff
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Ditto... you can try my two c1's if you want...

Super-Fun and Wavesport Y - You should even be able to fit them.

Geoff, I definitely wanna try the fly.
-- Cya
mattm
C Guru

you should

Post by mattm »

you should try poling.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/25 ... 6337NTHEkw
it's fun, easy on the knees, and has taught me a lot about reading rivers and has shown me new lines thru old rapids. don't need as much water as paddling either, plus you don't need a shuttle. just some extra fun in an open boat :lol:
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
Attila
c

Post by Attila »

Hi Geoff I'll see you at Palmer Fest. I 'll set up camp at Jessups early Friday morning, can't wait to paddle your fly again. Jamie put a bulkhead in for my zephyr and he did a great job what a difference.
msims thank you for the offer, and I am most definitely will try your c1's.