OC1 Whitewater clinic Bob Foote

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

laeljon
c

OC1 Whitewater clinic Bob Foote

Post by laeljon »

August 2-4, 2008
Taos, NM Rio Grande Gorge
Contact Russ at 575-751-7262 or russ2714@gmail.com

refine your skills with Bob Foote, probably the best open canoe instructor in the world.
Dale
C Boater

Best boater in the world?

Post by Dale »

Hey you forgot some other really great open boaters like Andrew Westwood, Harold Deal, Paul Mason, Mark Shriver, Carole Westwood. Just to mention a few.
He is not the best in the world only by personal opinion -
Last edited by Dale on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
C Boater

Best in the world?

Post by Dale »

Forgot Nate Shils up and coming OC1/C1 paddler.
He would leave BF in the dust oh I mean the wake!!!!!
Louie

WTF

Post by Louie »

Bob who, does he open boat or is he just a Kayaker?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: WTF

Post by sbroam »

Louie wrote:Bob who, does he open boat or is he just a Kayaker?
Dang, I put a 5 spot on you saying that within one hour.
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: WTF

Post by philcanoe »

Louie wrote:Bob who, does he open boat or is he just a Kayaker?
you know from the grand canyon

(what ever happened to Jim Schelander and Bob Miller???)
Dale
C Boater

Others who are world class

Post by Dale »

Jon Kaz, Beth Kenndy (Canada) the list could go on. Bob Putnum too
:) No BF is not the best.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I believe that the OP is asserting that Bob is the best open boat *instructor* in the world and as that is pretty subjective, I won't argue with that. I'm not sure where the periodic animosity towards Bob Foote is coming from - I've never met him. I saw a reference to him kayaking above, is this his sin? I'll need some absolution, then, too - I've certainly kayaked before though I'm not very good at it... :D
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Dam Louie, their saying you're predicatable?

naw, say it ain't so!

Dale, have taken courses with alot of your list (or at least the Canadians) all are great...... different styles and you get a jem out of every encounter.
I liked my "Bob" course a couple years back. Was my first experience with a "coach" type format as apposed to teaching.
got alot out of the course..... everybody should go back to the
"wax on, wax off" flatwater drills from time to time
Anyways, Bob pretty much had me down flat within 30 minutes of what was going to work for me and what was just not going to ring my bell....
I came ready to work and the man made sure I got my money's worth. I found him very approachable with a rasor sence of humor and pretty proffesional in his approach. I'm on time you're on time...we're here to make you a better paddler.... not sure how much more belongs in the equasion?
Don't know about "Best" (not qualified to make that statement)but I don't know if I'll ever get to a point where the man wouldn't be a ble to fill a weekend with new things to teach me

I gotta get my but in gear sometime and take a Kaz course.....well maybe when I'm in a serious mood about learing slalom
Kaz, you got a link of this years courses?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

BTW - have it from a very good authority, he is an excellent instructor

... however

this guy just stepped off the bus (on the wrong foot), with that best in the world statement
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

It's hard to knock a man that spends his life traveling around the country in a van spreading his love of paddling by teaching people how to be better paddlers. Particularly at the low prices Bob Foote charges. And particularly with the skill he displays in knowing how to unlock the potential in each paddler in the class. Every paddler I've seen who has taken a class with Bob comes out a better paddler. As to who is the best instructor on the planet, that's a pissing match no one should be asked to participate in. There are many good ones. Take advantage of them. Sign up for a class.
Louie

Oh he is an instructor

Post by Louie »

Well if he teaches anyone who pays him , he is a better man than me, I taught a few people myself but in 99% of the cases I pick them to teach. I have only had one who I finally had to tell "Rodney lets forget about me teachin you boatin, and we take up Mountain Bikein. There was a Bob guy who use to hang out at Dagger and brown nose up to the bosses, we tried to get him to do a first descent but he went to the lake with Steve Scarborough. I also have a letter some Bob guy wrote to Bailey. Now one more time this is Bob who?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Instruction, whether formal or informal, is great. And instruction from a great instructor, even better. Just be sure that your learning style matches their instructing style...there are some instructors whom I would never be able to learn anything from due to my learning style not meshing with their teaching style. There are others, like Beth Kennedy, who are not only great instructors, but great instructors for my learning style.

We all can learn something...no matter how long we've been boating. "The best" are those that have realized this, and never stop learning....
Keep the C!
Adam
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

Sir Adam wrote:We all can learn something...no matter how long we've been boating. "The best" are those that have realized this, and never stop learning....
Well said, SirAdam.

Keep your mind open, try new things, meet interesting people, tolerate different opinions, learn forever. That's cboating!
"A canoe trip?" he said. "There ain't nothing to go down there for."
"Because it's there," Lewis said.

(James Dickey, Deliverance)
laeljon
c

Sorry

Post by laeljon »

A friend of mind post this about Bob.....should have read one of the best. There are many great instructors in this world.
Laeljon