I love my Galasport Loco!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

I love my Galasport Loco!

Post by the great gonzo »

Just wanted to share with you guys, over the lasrt few weekends I finally got to spend a fair bit of time in the galasport loco salom bout I bougth last winter used from bearboater. I am blown away... I never imagined that slalom boats would be THIS much fun! So far I have run technical water (the Gull river in Minden) as well as big water the Ottawa (middle channel at ~12) and the Kipawa (at ~150 cms) in it, and it rules. The speed is absolutely mindblowing, on the flats on the Ottawa, I was literally running in circles around my friends in kayaks...they were not amused... :lol: ... In a rapid, if you don't like the looks of a feature... well, 2 strokes and you are already away from it.
I would never have thought that a boat this long could be this maneuvrable. Pivot turns (I am still working on my technique there) are so cool. As far as playing is concerned, it surfs all the waves noone celse can even thin of catching and you can throw HUGE enders, provided the hole is deep enough.
it is also extremely stable and predictable in big water, I ran some quite big stuff on the Kipawa and it performed like a charm.
I feel so confident in that boat that I will take it down the Upper Gauley this Fall!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Hey, Martin - Welcome to the club!

There are several reasons why slalom racers can often be seen running rivers in their race boats, and you've just discovered one of the biggest!

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Slalom boats are designed to run as fast as possible down a course of 20-25 gates set on Class III-IV water. The gates inevitably require some pretty tight manuvering, so slalom boats have to be made to turn quickly, but also need to retain as much hull speed as possible in between the turns. Consequently, slalom boat designs, coupled with racing technique (e.g. pivot turns), are optimized to give you the best of both.

With enough depth to the water, you can do nice enders and pirouettes, as well as classic old school surfing (front & side) and even some squirt-boat style "blasting," but NOT loops, cartwheels, and more advanced freestyle moves. I wouldn't advise them for use in creeking either. Although I'm obviously biased, I don't cruise rivers in anything else!

Enjoy!!!

John
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Now imagine a C2 just a foot longer. I have just been out a couple of times in the Magma 410 C2 and it is growing on me as the favorite. It is easier to roll solo than a Viper C1. When I took it out two weeks ago on the Deerfield we were able to attain easily upstream waves. Have not had enough time in it yet, but having a narrower boat with centered cockpits makes it much more predictable.

Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Sound like that loco needs to take a ride south so others can give it a turn! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

PAC wrote:Sound like that loco needs to take a ride south so others can give it a turn! :-)
What date is the Ohiopyle Falls Festival on again... :wink: ?

Jim, you'll have to bring the Magma to next year's armada :) !

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

this year's Ohiopyle Falls Festival, including Falls-running

Post by PAC »

This year's Ohiopyle Falls Festival, including Falls-running, the Race, and Freestyle, will be August 23, 2008.

You coming down? :-)

temp site for event... http://fallsrace.paddlesource.com

And others coming?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

Hey, forget Ohiopyle. When will one of you guys come give JFD and me some company in your slalom boat in the Upper Yough Race this year?

Alden
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Yes, it's on my list of festivals to attend for this year :D . Not sure who else I will be able to talk into going.
Anyuone in for running the Falls in a Noah America C2 :) ?!?!

Alden, skillswise I don't think I am anywhere near ready to run the Upper Yough in a slalom boat :o , nevertheless race it. Having run the river only 4 or 5 times so far, I still don't know the lines in most of the rapids. I am pretty sure I would damage or destroy my boat if I attempted that...

And if I am not completely mistaken, then the UY race is on the weekend of July 25-27, which is the same one at the JimiCup, so it's a no go for me anyway...

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

great on you coming down - keep me posted. You know the way!

Oh look for an email from me as to the family's Canadian Trip! :-)

As for running the Falls in a Noah America C2 - Yes - but only if we huck it in a Hydra Duet too. Our own little race of C2s same team different boats!!

The Falls race is the same weekend as the River Sport race (Sat and Sun - this is scheduling screw up do to the ASCI Nationals the next weekend) which I plan to race in on Sunday with the kids. Any interest there? Slalom race in II.

Alden, I agree with Martin on racing the Upper. I'd be a shoe in for the "most carnage" if I was in a race boat. But if Martin shows up a day early for the Falls Race.... maybe a UY run in the Noah America would be do-able. I'll have to rethink the lines but.... ????

Martin - Cool on Jimi cup. Make sure you get some Ceemweaver time.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

PAC wrote:great on you coming down - keep me posted. You know the way!

Oh look for an email from me as to the family's Canadian Trip! :-)

As for running the Falls in a Noah America C2 - Yes - but only if we huck it in a Hydra Duet too. Our own little race of C2s same team different boats!!

The Falls race is the same weekend as the River Sport race (Sat and Sun - this is scheduling screw up do to the ASCI Nationals the next weekend) which I plan to race in on Sunday with the kids. Any interest there? Slalom race in II.

Alden, I agree with Martin on racing the Upper. I'd be a shoe in for the "most carnage" if I was in a race boat. But if Martin shows up a day early for the Falls Race.... maybe a UY run in the Noah America would be do-able. I'll have to rethink the lines but.... ????

Martin - Cool on Jimi cup. Make sure you get some Ceemweaver time.

PAC, sure I am in for running it in the Hydra, too!
The slalom race on Sunday sounds interesting, too, I am in for that!
Hmm... the UY in the Noah C2... sounds good to me, I am in!

And as far as the Jimi cup is concerned... I will be getting mora than just some Ceemweaver time in...I will actually be getting the Ceemweaver... :D ...

TGG!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Cool on the plan...I'll start getting the ball rolling with days off and such.

As for the Ceemweaver... extra cool! But does this mean I can't take it on my trek south the beinging of July? Say THAT ain't so!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Yes, you can :D ! That's the deal I have with Jim. The boat goes South first and Jim paddles it a bit, too, and has it up at Juimicup for people to try out, and I'll be picking it up after that ... please be gentle to it... :) ...

PS: can't get at my private e-mail at work , I'll check it tonight!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

martin wrote:And as far as the Jimi cup is concerned... I will be getting mora than just some Ceemweaver time in...I will actually be getting the Ceemweaver... :D ...

TGG!
I'm jealous!
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

The only C2 you will get me in on the UY is a shredder. I will keep the date in mind and if Walt and I can make it I am sure we will play sweep.

Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Call me spoiled, but after paddling open boats until I was 21, then converted playboats and creekers, and finally slalom boats, I actually have little desire to paddle much of anything else. Going fast is fun, especially on big water.

Having dabbled in the freestyle world, I have respect for anybody who can throw a space tarantula or a phonics ourangatang. Still, being able to throw ends down a glass wave moving almost 15mph in a slalom boat still blows my mind. I just love getting in my slalom boat and ripping up a nice glassy wave.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London