OC1 Paddle Length and Saddle Height

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

edgar
c

OC1 Paddle Length and Saddle Height

Post by edgar »

I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but I dont know, so I am asking.

I am 5 7 and paddle a Nitro. What length paddle should I use?

Is there some kind of standard like a paddle that comes up to your armpit or whatever?

The paddle I use now comes up to my nose and seems to work great.

I also keep hearing different things about saddle height. I think mine is like 10", which seems a lot higher that what I hear, bu again, it seems to work, although the boat is pretty tippy for me coming from kayaking for years.

I would like to go lower, but my legs, knees, etc are already killing me!

Advice?

edgar
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

Paddle length has a lot to do with what you're used to. I'm 5-10 and like a 57 inch paddle for C1 and open boating.

Saddle height. I would go as low as you can. My saddle height is typically 5-6 inches high. The more you boat, the more you're body will get used to a lower saddle. I'd start by taking 2-3 inches off. Boat stability will greatly increase the lower you can go
Adam Trunnell
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Paddle length is largely subjective and opinions about paddle length opinions are subjective. I predict that someone will tell me I am wrong, but, if what you are using works, keep using it. Top shoulder hurting or tripping over the deck for cross strokes? Go shorter. Can't reach back far enough for an effective rudder or forward enough for good power? Go longer. Shorter = less stress, higher stroke rate. Longer = more leverage.

Saddle height? Stay comfy and work on your balance - you'll get used to it and your knees will thank you. I've got saddles as high as 8-9" even in small boats. However, some of the latest thinking is short but wide (9") can be just as comfy.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

The rule I like to go by is: While in your boat in paddling position, the blade should be in the water and the t-grip should come up to your forhead. Then modifiy slightly longer or shorter for comfort.
yarnellboat
C Maven

8" saddle, 55" paddle

Post by yarnellboat »

Saddles typically tend to be around 8", considerably lower if you want that, a little higher if it's all your legs can take. Try to trim it down, maybe making it wider would help, as may ankle blocks, or even adjusting your knee pads or toe blocks... keep playing with all your outfitting.

For somebody 5'7" in OC, I'd guess a paddle might be 54" on the low end, and 57" might be the longer end of the normal range. Depends on your own preference and your paddling style - I liked a longer paddle for river running with more stern correction, and I've shortened it up a bit as I paddle & play more with shorter strokes and more cross strokes.

Some good guidelines above, especially that it all comes down to personal comfort/preference.

PY.