New Viper 12

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim P
C Guru

Parrot head is right on

Post by Jim P »

While what he says seems long and complex, once you get it, it becomes an automatic reflex and you no longer think much about it.

Practice is key - those boring flatwater drills will help alot!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

if i read you correctly, the question is about getting up to speed....

for starters stop all that correcting, you're giving up everything that's been gained... a little j-stroke and some c-added to the start of your forward will go a long way.... start with your bow pointed more to the side, so after a couple strokes the boat now points to your target... using the edges as a keel, to hold straight is key.... practice, practice, practice... both on side and off side leans; however the lean is minuscule, just as little as required to get the job done... an half/inch lean goes a long way... and for heavens sake do both up and down stream leans... nothings worst than only learning a downstream lean, it's kinda like always paddling on a brace... in fact ultimately you will want to change the onside/offside lean throughout your path, as you cross over different cross currents and eddies... and the funny part, is no one will be able to tell what you're doing - it's just slight movements ... and if worried about the upstream lean, just remember your forward stroke is also doing double duty as a brace

in a couple weeks: straight will be easy(er), you'll never want a round bottom again, and you'll not have to keep that constant paddling (stroking) to get somewhere
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Starting to See

Post by fleckbass »

After last weekend, I am starting to see this. Although it is gonna take practice. I seem to be very unstable in a rapid.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

is that unstableness... or increased responsiveness ???
Big Al
CBoats Addict

and futher

Post by Big Al »

and further to philcanoe;

is this a problem, or a challenge? :D
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

philcanoe wrote:is that unstableness... or increased responsiveness ???
Yes! Same for fighter jets, race cars, etc... Part of what makes 'em fun...
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

I agree

Post by fleckbass »

This thing is lively and snappy and I can see it being tons of fun. Right now, it just seems like it requires a lot of effort to paddle. I'm wondering, even after when I start to get used to it, if I can hang with it on harder, unknown runs. It seems if you get stalled or into a jam, you're done. I am gonna give it my best.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I paddled a friend's Viper 12 once down the James River at very high water (near-flood) and even took it down a stretch that's pretty creeky when running (Belle Isle Dries). Absolutely had a blast in the boat. Took it down one drop and purposely clipped the edge of a meaty hole so the boat shot skyward when I kicked out. What a blast! The only downside I remember was getting wetter than I wanted to when running a straight-up class 3+/4 stretch (Southside rapids at near-flood). Otherwise, I just had a great time in it. Stick with the boat and learn how to get the boat to work for YOU. You'll be a large steaming pile of dog doo-hot boater when you do.

KNeal

P.S. You just can't get around that language blocker. Nice job with that, Kenneth, Adam, Scott, et al. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

That was a lot of info. all at once. Give all of the different suggestions a try, let them sink in, then try them again. Figure out what works best for you.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

No Doubt

Post by fleckbass »

No Doubt
jnorto01
C Guru

stabiliy vs responsiveness

Post by jnorto01 »

Hey Bruce, I'll let you take my Zoom for a test drive. When you get back in the Viper, it will feel really stable. Its all relative and what you get used to.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

stability

Post by Big Al »

I totally agree. Felckbass, where and when are you paddling next?
You can try MY Zoom and then we can talk about instability.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

To put it in perspective, my Zoom feels rock solid compared to some of my C-boats. There is no substitute for seat time in a boat. You need at least 40 hrs actual paddling time in a boat to really get to know it.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

I Believe You

Post by fleckbass »

I totaly believe you guys. I should be on the Yough this weekend. So why do you want something so unstable. Would It be your boat of choice on a hair run? I know I'll get used to it.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

weekend

Post by Big Al »

heading down tonight to Zoom the New. Maybe catch you next week on the Yough Saturday during Tirkey Bash. Hoping to Zoom the UY Friday if I can find a guiding hand and the the Savage release Sunday.
cheers!