Lead me to the light (what is a pedestal worth?)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

Lead me to the light (what is a pedestal worth?)

Post by RobertM »

Hello all,

I’ve decided it’s high time I lose the training wheels and make the move into a C-boat. I’ve been looking for an Atom or a Cascade but another interesting opportunity has presented itself.

A friend (who wants to help me reduce my paddle maintenance time) is offering me a complete Dagger Atom pedestal in good condition. This would go into my wife’s old Pirouette S, or possibly my Mamba.

What I’m looking for is opinions on:

a. Would either the Pirouette or the Mamba make a good first C1 (I'm a river runner type, not looking for a playboat, at least not yet), or should I keep hunting for a Cascade or Atom?

b. What actually triggered this post, we’ve got no idea between us what the pedestal is worth, so I’m collecting thoughts on what a fair price for an Atom pedestal in good condition is.

(As an aside, if there is a Cascade somewhere cluttering up a garage near Kentucky, I might have a home for it)

Thanks in advance.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

The Mamba is a far better C1 convert. Had an 8.5 , and it worked great. Picking up an Everest soon tho. The atom pedestal used is worth about 40.00 or so I think. I have a cascade that had a 3 inch crack at the cockpit in the fornt.. I repaired it and have padded it many times with no problems. 250.00. Loc in Chattanooga.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I think some would pay twice that for the pedestal. I also think the Atom is a lousy 1st c1. The pirouette would be funny at least. Go for the Mamba.

G
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

oopsiflipped wrote:I think some would pay twice that for the pedestal.
I agree. They are hard to come by these days. I'm always on the lookout.
Atucky
CBoats Addict

great outfitting

Post by Atucky »

Daggers factory C1 outfitting is seccond to none. The greatest thing about it is, you can yank it in out of different boats pretty easily making it desireable for many c1ers.

I'm in Asheville, and you're welcome to demo my cascade anytime. In fact, I've got a regular lexington BWA crew who comes to visit, they might be willing to bring it up for you to try.

Good luck.
Adam Trunnell
JFD
C Guru

Post by JFD »

I've got a beautiful red, white, and blue cascade, in decent condition for an older boat. No saddle, but the Atom saddle would fit perfect. Skirt included for $200. I hate to part with this boat, but it came from Lexington, and I like the idea of it going back home, instead of lying around in my basement here in WV.
Some Lexington boaters will be here this weekend for the Yough race, I can send it back with them if you want it.
Jay

Here's a picture of it (at bottom left):
http://homepage.mac.com/jackditty/PhotoAlbum15.html
Atucky
CBoats Addict

that pic

Post by Atucky »

that pic made me start singing the star spangled banner in my head.

Nice..
Adam Trunnell
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

JFD:

If you are sure you want to let it go, I'll give it a loving home. Although, looking at the picture, I certainly can't promise as much excitement as it's used to.

Nine-Seven-Eight-Two-Three-Five-One-Five-Five-Nine
(My cell hasn't developed a Kentucky accent yet.)

or

milgateb at yah00 dot c0m