Robson NRG review

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Boise Bob

Robson NRG review

Post by Boise Bob »

I've demo'd several boats in search of my next (ok first) full fledged rodeo hole-riden boat. I've tried the following boats as a kayak (Pyrhanna S6 200, Transformer T4, and Chronic) and the following as a C1 (Chronic, Vibe, and Robson NRG). My stats are 6' 185lbs.

I found the NRG very stable and mega playful in the hole and really could throw this boat around. The ends slice through the water like the Chronic and are symmetrical. The hull is 25.5" wide and contoured a bit.

I tried taking down a class 3 boiling wave train for some ferry practice and it's stability made it possible to make these moves as long as you keep your weight back a bit. With a little weight shift forward, some very dramatic bow stalls can be had whether or not it was intentional. This spud boat is only 6' in length.

I have yet to take it surfing, since the water levels have dropped at the local play spots.

I liked this boat so much I bought one when I returned the demo.

The conversion is pretty easy because of the yakker seat is easy to remove and the mounts are 1/2 way up the side wall.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Bob, any chance of a Chronic and/or Vibe review? I know there are several people on the forum that would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Will
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

Yeah I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on the Vibe... I am thinking that it might be my next boat, although the NRG was on the list too. How are you so lucky as to demo so many C1s? All I can find around here are older boats, so I make the plunge and buy a K1 and convert...
Boise Bob

More feedback on NRG, Chronic, and Vibe

Post by Boise Bob »

I finnally have my new NRG outfitted and put it in the water last night. Yep, I made the right choice. I stated earlier the NRG is symetrical...and that is not entirely true. The ends have different shapes that really make this boat perform. The bow curves up quickly and a V-shaped transition to the almost-flat hull. This V really makes spin and cartwheel transitions easy and will back surf like a charm.

As for the Chronic, an earlier post by Stephen is very accurate. I encourage folks to read his review for details.

The Vibe looks like a hot boat and I know of one yakker who likes the Chonic, but loves the Vibe. As a C1, I found the Vibe unstable and tippy in flat water--there is something about its hull shape or volume distribution. Once in the hole, it wanted to do nothing but tricks and I'm sure I could eventually master this boat. Because of the bulbus bow, it will not slice in the water. I'm sure this boat can surf--didn't try. I just didn't feel good about its instability and would rather have a Chronic as a C1. My stats again are 6' 185lb.

As for demoing all these boats as a C1, both the Chronic and Vibe are a cinch to convert for demo. The yakker seat is just velco'd in, so pull it out. The metal in these boats allows you to hook a carabeener up front to anchor the thigh straps. The thigh braces are easy to remove with a screw driver. I have an L-shaped pedistal that I just place in the boat, duct tape in some knee pads, and use a kayak-hauling strap for my thighs. The Necky boats have metal at the hip pads to wrap the straps around, over one leg, through the carabeener, over the next leg, and around the other hip pad mount. It now takes me 5 minutes to convert.

The NRG was a little morte interesting to temporarily convert to C1. I pulled the seat out and took some 1" tubular webbing and cut a hole in each end. Make a loop with this webbing and push it onto the seat mount's back bolt. Do the same with the other side's back seat mount bolt. There is a glued plastic runner that runs the length of the boat. I used one of the seat mount bars and shoved it under the runner and fished the 1" webbing under it. I tied the webbing ends together to form a loop, slapped a carabeener onto this loop. Now take a trusty kayak hauling strap and weave it through the seat mount loop, over leg, carabeener, other leg, and through other seat mount loop. Add pedastal, knee pads, and I'm in the water.
James
C Guru

Post by James »

The vibe looks great, a kayak friend has been ripping it up on large local waves. Would be interesting to try as C1, but from your comments above I would assume it would be a highly demanding ride. With those side rails sitting in the water, river running would most likely suck really bad. REALLY BAD. my buddy in kayak has his hands full running river in the vibe.

The performance of the vibe looks awesome, but who would want to sacrifice getting down the river to do it, when other boats are around that are more forgiving? My riot c1 tekno was somewhat edgy, the vibe looks like it takes it to a new level of edgyness. Anyone else tried the vibe out?
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

The other thing about the Vibe I've noticed is that heavier people have a way harder time with its instabilty. I guess those edges are further down in the water. I love your idea for quick outfitting, I may have to demo one. I am 145 soaking wet, so maybe I'll have a different experience with it.
Thanks for the Info
Tim
me

question for BB

Post by me »

Bob
Can you provide photos of the set up with the carbiner / velcro? Interested minds want to know about these things! Thanks! PAC