Canoe trailer question (spacing on the crossbars)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Roger
C Guru

Canoe trailer question (spacing on the crossbars)

Post by Roger »

Got my hands on 10-boat trailer with mag wheels. HOme-built to carry ten Grumman SK's (17' aluminum boats) exactly (no room when loaded). Want to make it into six-boat trailer.

Canoes we have include Ovation, Pirahana (sp) (Whitesell), probe 12 II, Bluehole OCA knockoff.

Current spacing on the crossbars (16" avg) does not allow any of these boats to be placed on the racks.

Looking at the data on here, the only depth measurement I can find is the OCA at 15". My measurements on the others (rough) seem to come in at 17" (+/-).

Any suggestions on spacing. I'm thinking about 20" between the level of the bars to allow some space to work with comfortably when loading.

Thanks in advance.
Jim P
C Guru

Racks

Post by Jim P »

I just took a look at the racks in my basement.

One has horizontal distance between bars - 71 inches.
vertical space for each level 18 1/2 inches.

I use this rack for boats from the size of a Probe/Shaman to Caption, Scamp and Vertige X sized.

The other rack has 50 inches horizontal between bars, vertical space 19 inches.

The second rack For smaller boats, Ocoee, Zephyr, etc. Can hold a 12-13 foot boats also.

20 inches should be plenty, just realize the vertical space is not only dictated by the boat heights but also by the rocker - AND the interplay of rocker with the horizontal distance between the bars.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Thanks. When I dropped it off at the mechanic (former race car builder) I decided to go with with 22 inches spacing vertical. Had room on the existing frame to spread it out some.