breakdown paddle recs

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

berlymae

breakdown paddle recs

Post by berlymae »

Need reccomendations on a breakdown paddle that will fit inside a Taureau. Seems like I'm better at swimming than paddling, so I need a backup paddle just in case. . . . .

Thanks
Kim
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Hand paddles? Ever try them? I've used them in a C-1 and they sure beat having no paddle at all and I can roll almost as well as with a paddle... I never tried them in an OC-1, but, well, we are talking about a Taureau :-) Maybe make/buy some that are 3-4" longer than what a kayaker would use?
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

Werner sells breakdown paddles, although they don't really advertise it.

I think I ordered mine through NOC.

I have a 2-piece Bandit, 56", that fits just fine in my Quake (which is only a little bigger than a Tareau).
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

I use a galasport breakdown in my Taureau and Quake. Aquabound makes a nice one too. You have to call and order both.

Phil
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Get a 3-piece breakdown paddle. It will fit any boat, I can stick mine even into my short playboats.
I have an aquabound, I had to use it once so far, it worked well in class 3-4 water.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Aquabound?

Post by Big Al »

Might any of you have the link or phone contact for this aquabound 3-piece? All I see are yakker paddles whe I google it.

Thanks!
jottsee
Pain Boater

Aquabound 3 piece

Post by jottsee »

Aquabound quoted me $110 US for the fiberglass handled Edge paddle plus 10 for shipping to Milwaukee back in April. I am still looking for something cheaper. For most of WI paddling you can usually hang on to your paddle.

This guy -

craiglangford@aquabound.com

should be able to help.

I wonder if we bought a bunch, if they would cost less.

I know the paddle fits in the Taureau easily

jc
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

You could just make a break down yourself. Wildwasser (prijon) sells ferrule kits (breakdown), or they used to anyway, they are used for making kayak paddles 2 piece, don't see why they wouldn't work for C paddles. you just need to know the diameter of the shaft. Would certainly be cheaper if you have an old stick sittin around, all you need is epoxy and a saw.
Good Luck
B
philinasheville
C Guru

Jottsee, my galasport 2 piece breakdown fits fine in my Taureau and Quake. I think it was $50 or $60. It's not as nice as the Aquabound breakdown, but i figured I probably wouldn't use it much so no need to spend the extra coin

Phil :D
jottsee
Pain Boater

Galasport breakdown

Post by jottsee »

Did you pick that up off their website or from a dealer.

Agreed about the price

jc
philinasheville
C Guru

Call this guy. He's the Galasport USA contact.

(301) 263 9594
C-Dawg
c

breakdown

Post by C-Dawg »

In 30 + years I've needed it twice. I have an rafting paddle that I snagged on a a trip, sawed it in half. I then fitted a piece of dowel for a spllint and carry it in the boat at all times. Yearly I replace the wrap of duct tape just to keep it fresh. Same idea works for spare ski pool on a pack int he BC.
C-ing is believing!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I've needed mine at least 6 times. I never go creeking without it.
I use a Lightning but it's heavy and I think they went belly up.

If your going to carry it a lot, don't get a super cheap (HEAVY) one. A light/ strong paddle like a Bandit is perfect. I have never seen the Aquabound, but it seems good as well.
Probably any manufacturer will make one for you if you can get ahold of an actual person.

And I agree w/Martin.. go for a 3 piece.

Also, take care to keep it protected in the boat. If it's rubbing on the hull it will get ruined pretty quick.

Let us know what you end up with!
Larry