would you be interested in buying CANOE specific booties?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

would you be interested in buying CANOE specific booties?

Post by Craig Smerda »

Since most of the booties in the marketplace are k-planned if you could have a say in a new design what would you want to see in a new design made specifically for us? (OC'ers mainly)

why?
max $?
features?

also... are you an on the pegs or under the pegs OC'er?

let it out... i'm all (internet) ears :wink:
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Yes- rigid toe box

Post by Wendy »

I would like boots a little looser at ankles than Keens, very sticky sole, and protected toe box.
I keep my feet over and under tow pegs and besiode them (at 55 you have to change it up alot)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Yes.

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam ... 6621579906

I paddle OC with my feet flat on the deck and toes under the pegs. C-1 they are just flat.

Nike AquaSocks used to be just about perfect, but they are no more (see my picture above - I'vbe gone through 3-4, only 2 pictured). Cheap water sock type shoes have loose mesh tops and trap sand on the top of your foot or come off easily.

The NRS Cross 4 Wetshoe :
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1169

is very good but more than I need 9-10 months out of the year (I can get by with less in C-1 year round). They can be too big in a tight C-1 as well, but the low profile Aquasocks never were...

I would buy something :
* reinforced on the top from the instep to the toe
* just enough sole to protect from stones - not so stiff to cause cramping in the paddling position
* low profile heel to clear outfitting
* secure in case of an "Extravehicular activity"
*~$50
* available in a stylish array of colors :-)
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Interesting and timley thread...
Until two days ago I have always paddled C1 & OC1 with feet flat back and the selection of footware has been either Palm "Kevlar" socks or slip on type shoes as any kind of front lace or buckle puts pressure on the top of my feet and hurts like you know what after a short time...

Two days ago I took my Salsa to a shop specifically to try lots of shoes to find one that would allow me to try and paddle with toes on the footrests...(I have tried this before and either had cramp or really painful toes..so given up!! )
After trying many, many types I settled on a Pair of Teva Pro shoes...
Why..?, They are very comfortable, have a stiff sole and solid toe area which supports my feet without transfering all the load onto the end of my toes. For the first time i can now paddle a boat and really push on the pegs as hard as I want to......I was in my Salsa yeserday for nearly 3 hours, on my toes without any major discomfort.
Expensive shoes but the result is worth every penny.... :D
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Gee Craig, the market for (non-slalom) cboaters has managed to produce maybe 5 or 6 new boat designs (just guessing) in the last decade. So unless we all start buying 100 pairs of shoes every year, this might not happen.

I wear slip ons from NRS (of course) but have to cut the drawstring out of the top to cut down on numb feet.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

my feet are against the foot pegs so I like a stiff sole. I've been thru a number of booties that were all a let down until I found the Keen Hood River bootie. Very Comfy and very durable. Almost 100 dollars.
Parrot Head Paddler
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

..for c-1 (Oc'ers can fit anything in there!)
these are interesting. would be great for play boats. not bomber enough for creeking though.
http://www.levelsixinc.com/index.php?pa ... temid=1084

I want super sticky 5.10 soles... more support than these level six, and less bulk than the keens.
I'd spend 80-100 bucks for a tough shoe. Maybe 50 for a neoprene slipper.
Larry
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

This is something I've been thinking about recently, and the new Keen Payette looks awesome! I would have to try it on to see if you could fit your toes under foot braces (ofcourse this is key for lots of open boaters).

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_det ... x?sku=1116

This is what's really important to me (i'm sure i'll forget something):

toe coverage, durability, traction, insulation, 3/4(above ankle) cut, strap system to keep them on. I like to order mine a 1/2 size too big so I can layer under my drysuit.

I would be interested in hearing about what you come up with!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Those Keen Payettes do look great. So thanks, I just ordered a pair! Free shipping and free returns at shoesdotcom.
They look a lot like the excellent Nike Tokatees that aren't made anymore. I've been nursing mine along for the last year.
Larry
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Gosh I'm cynical. I forogt people actually canoe in Canada. Its cool to see Level 6 making a product with cboaters in mind. I've been excited about the Keens, too. I tried the Attack shoes from NRS. The buckle on top will need to go, not a modification most people will want to make.
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

why?- Not enough coverage on toes and entire top of foot.
max $?- 50-80
features?- More toe coverage, make 2 versions, one with thick sole,s and one with thin soles.

also... are you an on the pegs or under the pegs OC'er?

I'm under the pegs. Recently I've outfitted my canoe with raised pegs (about 2 and a half inches high. I believe this will help with thicker soled river shoes.
Adam Trunnell
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

Some features I would like to see:

- Circulation pump sleeves like they give bed-ridden patients at hospitals
- Steel toes for stomping wise-a$$ butt-boaters
- A flask (see the Reef brand Dram sandal)
- Integrated rollerskates (see Heelys brand shoes) for running shuttle
- Electronic bilge pump
- Formal enough to wear at work so I can more easily skip out for mid-day sessions
- Ionic purifier to reduce smell
- Under $5
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

no

Post by ohioboater »

My Toketees work fine for OC. Can't fit much more than a rodeo sock in C1. I have balls of the feet against the pegs in OC, feet flat behind in C1.

When the soles finally fall the rest of the way off my Nikes, I'll get whatever brand shoe is closest in style to them.
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

The NRS ATB provides a decent sole and a rubber cover over neoprene for your toes. The ATB and the NRS workboot are the only shoes which provide enough protection that I no longer wrap my toeknuckles (is that a word?) in tape to keep the skin on when I go boating. The ATB is much easier on and off - the workboot has some ankle support for hiking around on rocks.

I paddle feet flat on bottom under the pegs.

The only thing I would ask for is thicker rubber on top of the boot.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Jim P wrote:...
The only thing I would ask for is thicker rubber on top of the boot.
I like the more flexible booties that only come without the rubber caps over the toes, so I smear Shoe-Goo on the tops in the strategic wearing areas.
Bob P