what saddle height for freestyle C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

insolence
CBoats Addict

what saddle height for freestyle C1?

Post by insolence »

what's better for (perfect) boat control in C1 freestyle?

low or high saddle seat?

aspects of comfort do not interest in this case

thanks for help!!!
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
Kelvin
C Guru

Saddle Height

Post by Kelvin »

Hi insolence,
I've gone for 6'' in both my Wheelboy and Remix, I think that's fairly low.
I find it works a treat, my legs don't always think so!
See you in an eddy one day,
Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've always set my boats up for comfort :D I just add hip pads so that I have more contact w/ the boat. If you're not interested in comfort, I think your hip bones should be in-line w/ the cockpit rim for best control.
My $.02 worth.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

If you really want to find the optimmum for you, then my suggestion is to experiment. Tere are no cut and dry rules of what is best, as it all depends on many factors like Make a low saddle out of the cheapest styrofoam or such that you can find, and attach it temporarily to the boat. Make shims to vary your seat height in about 1 inch increments, and start paddling the boat in your favorite play feaure, adding or substracting foam, until youfind the height that works best for you.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I use a 5.5 inch saddle in my converted Pyranha S:8.

I use a 3.5 inch saddle in my New Wave C1 squirt/slalom boat.

The 3.5 inch saddle leads to a very unique burning sensation in my kneecaps, but I found that any higher and I was losing significant rotational control because of the very low height of the deck.

Experiment around the 6 inch size, you can always trim down later.

I've seen Seth Chappelle's newest set-up, and I'd say he uses around a 6inch high saddle in his Fluid Nemesis. He also uses a strictly strap set-up with no foam above his knee cups, but he's well padded on his hips.
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

markzak wrote:[Seth Chappelle is] well padded on his hips.
Are you calling Seth fat?

My playboat seats are in the 6 - 7 inch range. I have slender hips unlike that fatass, Seth Chappelle.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

C-boaters should all recognize the value of some extra padding around the hip area (mini-cell or love-handle style).

I put Seth in the mini-cell category.

Unlike Seth (and kneeler), I rely on my love handles to lock in to the rim of my C1 and during those long paddling trips I have to bring extra sticks of butter to keep myself wedged in there.

Your choice, but well secured hips are paramount.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

then I'll experiment in saddle height - it's just that another C-Boater adviced me for a high seat (instable, but good boat control), and a kayaker (no C-Boater, but German Master in freestyle kayak, at least :lol: ) told me to make it lower - now I'm a bit confused

I did , and it doesn't feel much different. I just think that leaning forward doesn't have as much effect as it did before (wich would be physically logical)
hm - I'll have some trys, thanks so far!!!!!

as far as padding is concerned, I realised that the foam (even the expensive micicell) doesn't keep it's volume: I fit it so thight I hardly get in (and out), but after a few weeks, I start sliding out of the boat - so foam pads as a basic is ok, but what's really holding me in the canoe are my knee straps. I use snowboard racks, they can be fit thightest
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
billhay4
Pain Boater

Seat height

Post by billhay4 »

Robert Harrison, one of the pioneers of open boating, used to paddle with NO seat cushioning at all. He put his butt on his heels and let it rip. He was a fine, smooth boater.
I am not suggesting this for a c-boat, especially a freestyle boat, but merely throwing it out there to suggest a low seat might have some advantages.
In fact, I paddled an open boat down some Class III recently. No outfitting at all. I eventually found that kneeling on my heels did give me a lot of control.
With a low sided c-boat, I'd think this would be even greater.
Bill
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Well, Benn is currently using a 1.5" pedestal. He is, for all intents and purposes sitting on his heels, and he just placed sixth in the Olympics.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London