The Fly or the Taureau

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc ender
C Guru

The Fly or the Taureau

Post by oc ender »

Which of the two would be the boat of choice for play/downriver in med. to large water and creeking.Or are they in different catagories all together?
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
Louie

Well the fly was made for Rodeo but work

Post by Louie »

good on Creeks. The Teaurea was made for river runnin and Creeks and I think it is better at that. But take someone like Dooley and he makes all boats look good for all rivers,
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

Spanish Fly in my opinion is a better all around boat. Plus the rotomolded plastic boats hold up better in my experience (yes I cracked a Taureau after paddling it only 6 times). :cry:

Phil
AJ
CBoats Addict

wow you cracked your Taureau

Post by AJ »

So Phil, did Esquif Warranty your boat? And do you know how you cracked it?

I have been paddling my Taureau all season in quite a bit of manky stuff and I think it has worn pretty well. Maybe, not as good as HPE, but pretty good. I have not paddled the Fly.

I have the coaming for my boat and I really like it as a C1 with a 7.75" saddle. I have a buddy who bought a fly this season and he likes it too, but sometimes I think he is a little jealous as he is always dumping it. I have another paddling bud that has 4 flys, he lives and dyes by that boat and paddles it awesomely.

The Taureau seems nimble and punches holes, but it is slower and harder to paddle, then me Skeeter or Ocoee. It also seems hard to roll and that seem on the side seems to hit my thumb knuckle. My friggen knuckle was scraped open most of the season, ouch.

I am still trying to learn how to paddle a small boat. Sometimes my boat control is good and sometimes it is bad, especially if I am not paddling up front. My Ocoee and Skeeter seem more for giving.
Atucky
CBoats Addict

i think

Post by Atucky »

I feel like the fly is a bit more forgeving, tougher, and plays better. the taureau is more dry. But I've paddled a fly much much more, so that's what I'm used to.

If I ever wear out my spanish fly, I plan to replace it.
Adam Trunnell
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

The boat cracked on Bayless on the Upper Green. I must have hit a rock in the perfect spot on the bow (right where the seam is) causing the crack (about 4 inches long). It was not a hard hit at all.

Not sure yet about the warranty. I'll let you know what happens.

Phil
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Did you buy yours used Phil

Post by Wendy »

Did yours split at the seam?
AJ
CBoats Addict

Follow up for Phil

Post by AJ »

After reeding my poste and loking at my speling, i thunk i was reading a Louie post :o Just kidding Louie.

Phil, is your boat one of the new or old Taureaus? Did it crack at the seam or around the general area of the seam? I hope I don't have that problem.

I would be curious how Esquif handles it and also wonder can you do anything to repair that plastic like welding?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

"play" = Fly
Louie

Well

Post by Louie »

I have welded on two of the proto types and it was the best welding boat I ever worked on. However I understand the new production model is a plastic that can handle a much higher temp. ( that is why the two half weld together better than they use to ) I don't know how it will effect repair welding.

27 foot falls 1 foot off line, hard rock at bottom, 1 foot off of line was how I know about the weldability of the Teaureau.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I miss the gunwhale to pry off of on a Taureau, and getting water out is a task (think deck boat).... But the Taureau is THE drier of the two, however a Fly is not a wet boat... the Fly ferries better, and may be faster point A-2-B (haven't tested)... the Taureau is the lightest, but has the least initial stability... the Fly plays well, real well, nothing like having your playboat on a creek (the deck boaters are all envious)... haven't played as much in a Taureau, due to misssing gunwhales, although really sheds water well while front surfing... adding cockpit access makes storage a mute point... Taureau is the shorter... both are good choices... for me the winning hand is with roto-molded plastic, there's a reason it's the choice for kayaks, it takes a beating.
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

As i understand it,the Esquif Fly is Royalex,could this be true?If that's the case i think a used Pyrana would be the best choice.It sounds like the Taureau has some issues as i also know a guy who's Taureau came apart at the seam!
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

99.99999% sure that the Esquif Spanish Fly is polyethylene - the Royalex reference on the site is a typo. I didn't say 100.00% because I haven't laid hands on one, but Dooley has paddled one and he says PE. I can't conceive of how the mold could even be adapted for the change in material.

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... ly+royalex

Eric Nyre has a production Esquif Fly in stock and can confirm.
Louie

it

Post by Louie »

is tuperware, be dam hard to make out of royalex, but if anyone could do it it would be good old Esquif, that drunk frenchman is pertty dam smart.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

The Esquif Spanish Fly is poly.

Anyone in Colorado who'd like to see for themselves is welcome to come on over and look at the Esquif Fly.

The post about someone being sure it's Royalex has me laughing. Two totally different materials and very different molding processes.