Riversport Slalom August 23-24

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

C1Dub
C Guru

Riversport Slalom August 23-24

Post by C1Dub »

The Riversport clinic and slalom will be held at Ramcat Rapid on the Middle Youghiogheny in Confluence, PA on Aug. 23-24.

Note for anyone attending US Nationals at ASCI this race is the Sunday before and is only a short distance (45 mins.) from ASCI. Okay so its not a high level race but it is gates and timed runs . . . .

Here is the link for the information and forms

http://aca.whitewater-slalom.us/riversport/

This is a beginner/intermediate level race. Class II water. Open canoes classes are offered as well as C1, C2 and K1.

My contact info is on the information page if you have any questions, etc.

Natalie Thomas
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Adam - any chance of getting a sticky on this one?

After a hiatus of a few years, we had a decent turnout for last year's Return of the Riversport Slalom. We'd love to have an even bigger race this year and could sure use a few hands to help with course set up.

Thanks.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Stuck!
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Thanks Scott!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

not kidding around...

Post by PAC »

Natalie
I think some of the TRPC kids might be interested. Check out the kids section. Might be Dog Days or Riversport.

I know Riversport is the same day as Falls race but will there be a clinic on Sat? If so you might want to post that over there. :-)

Might show up with A few kids myself. :wink:

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

are non-race boats ok?

Post by ohioboater »

Looks like the OC rules come down to "race what you brung," but all I have is a Probe. Will trying to race in a Probe be sort of like showing up at a criterium on a Huffy?

I have no experience with slalom but always thought it looked like fun.
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Bring your Probe!
We can have a solo OC1 REC class.

(A REC boat is one that is commercially manufactured vs. the composite race canoes.) This is a beginner race so we see lots of different kinds of boats.

Just show up before 1:00pm on Sat. the 23rd and you can register and get in the clinic.

Its lots of fun!

Hope to see you there!

Natalie
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Thanks to all who came and made the 2008 Riversport Slalom a success!!!!!

For those who were unable to attend, please watch for the schedule and join us next year.

A major thank you goes out to all who helped with the workload, you know who you are.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Old,

My friend went and she said she had a great time! She keeps talking about it. So thanks to you, Natalie, etc.

However, I have a bone to pick with you two. My friend said that she finished either second or third (I don't remember which . . . one has to tune people out for at least a percentage of the day, after all) and yet her time was just 149 seconds! That's less than a New England race for her. Scott Parsons would have cracked the 90s.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I remember when slalom courses were 300 seconds long. Well, maybe *remember* is too strong a word, but I'm fairly sure I had been born by then, and either way -- I've seen video! It was grainy, but it was video!

I just thought that a couple of old-schoolers like yourselves would have had those newbies tackling a REAL length slalom course . . . That's all . . .

The only thing I like about all of this is the Dead quote. That's it.

Sincerely,

- Slalom Runs are Over too Quickly
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Now, They did have a reverse gate for a little old school action!

Thanks Again Jim, It sure was a great day!

Tom
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

That's fairly-to-moderately old-school, yes.

However, I once grew a Davey Hearn tribute mustache . . .
Last edited by Alden on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
C Guru

Mistaken

Post by Jim »

Alden:

You are mistaking "old school" with just plain "old". When you can paddle like me just about any course takes 300 seconds!
Jim
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I don't know Alden...ye pine for ye olde days, yet I have yet to see you again up here at the Derby again...where WINNING times for the slalom are in the 600 second range.... And it's not like I'm much competition :roll:
Keep the C!
Adam
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Alden,

Come next year and help us set up anold school course and maybe we'll get 300 seconds.
If you've ever seen this rapid or spent an entire day hanging gate wires you'll know why it was what is was.

I heard complaints about the reverse gate, 2 dive gates and the long start but nothing about the course being to short!

Natalie
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

This is all very interesting. But let's all keep the following quote in mind next time we're deciding between an Astral and a Seda:

"When you're an hour behind, that's tardy. But when you're an era behind, that's classic."

By the way, I just realized I made an embarassing spelling mistake that rendered my previous post meaningless! Sorry!

Alden "Your German?" Bird