Fix for Leaky Airbags

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Fix for Leaky Airbags

Post by fleckbass »

I think I found a fix for leaky airbags. Since airbags are not cheap, I dug out a couple of leaky ones. These were put away for when I had time to figure out why they were leaking. After inspection I found that they were leaking around the Roberts valve. This is the round valve on the bag. I took Vynabond and spread it around the outside of the valve. It takes a day to dry. Not leaking so far.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Aquaseal works pretty good as well, takes a while to dry but if you add in some MEKP(?) it will dry faster.
B
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Aquaseal

Post by fleckbass »

I was thinking about using that but didn't have any. Does it hold up for you? Was dry time longer than a day?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Goop (Plumbers or Marine) functions about the same as Aquaseal, is cheaper, and dries faster. Plus, my local paddling shops hardly stock anything useful, they frequently don't even have Aquaseal...
kmcinturff
C Boater

vinabond

Post by kmcinturff »

I have patched a few airbags around the valve. The best way I have found is this: Find an old airbag that is in tatters to use as a patch material (Or if you have vinyl from a patch kit that will work fine as well). Cut out a doughnut shape disk that fits around the valve, and about 1 to 2" outside of the valve. Clean everyhting well with alcohol. Spread thin layer of vinabond around the valve, and around the doughnut shaped patch. Let dry 3 minutes, and put together. The vinabond around the valve should stop the leaking, and the patch will give it strength so that it does not start coming apart again.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

bag leak around valve

Post by Big Al »

does the marine or plumber goop work as well as the vynabond?
...I can buy the former off the shelf, the latter over the web.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I would compare Goop to Aquaseal - while it is a contact cement, it is pretty thick and it works well as a sealant. I don't think it is that flexible when dry. Vynabond is one of the better *adhesives* for vinyl. Goop might work OK, but vynabond is probably better for gluing on a patch. I do suspect that those patch kits for pool liners, water beds, pool floats, etc contain the same glue even if not the same brand.
Grillmastertoo
C Boater

leaky air bag valve

Post by Grillmastertoo »

on my air bag, the end piece that screws open and close to add or remove air is broken....its in the open position all the time...i see where NOC sells the replacement pieces, but how does one go about replacing them? does anyone have suggestions on this type of fix or another way to fix it?
thanks!!!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Grillmaster, that should be an easy fix. Cut off the bad valve leaving only "good" vinyl tube, and then use just a speck of Vynabond on the insertion sleeve of the new valve. Push into the vinyl tubing, and you're set.
Grillmastertoo
C Boater

Post by Grillmastertoo »

thanks ex water...i work on that and se how it does...when buying air bags, what brand have most people had the best luck with? im specifically looking for 60" bags for a outrage x open boat?
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

voyageur, now harmony and the NRS bags are tuff as well (saw them swell up in the sun and bend allum. gunnells). ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for.
paddlr
red boat ready