anyone converted a savage skreem?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

marshwater
Pain Boater

anyone converted a savage skreem?

Post by marshwater »

how was or is it?
ralst one with the bigbossman!
SGG

Yeap!

Post by SGG »

Good C-1 creeker! Long, lots of volume and fast with a displacement hull.

Good choice if you are a big paddler, but I think there are better boats on the market (Blunt, Micro ...).

Stéphan
marshwater
Pain Boater

lets see...

Post by marshwater »

i have already done the short boat thing and am ready to move on. after paddling longer boats with their speed, stabilty and ability to maintain forward momemtum i no longer have a desire for these newschool creekers. i had been using a h2 untill i tried a cascade. i sold the h2. now i need something a little shorter that the scade for the more difficult class V+ water. really it seems like the skreem or rockit might be my only option. any other suggestions?
ralst one with the bigbossman!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Big Gun?

Post by Sir Adam »

I know a few who really like their Big Guns, but I'm not sure where it falls on your scale....
Keep the C!
Adam
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Longer Creekers

Post by NZMatt »

If you're looking for older style longer creekers, Prijons and Eskimos would probably be your best bets....they actually still make some of their older designs, unlike most companies....and used they're generally really cheap. Their plastic is also totally solid so they take the abuse of creeking really well. You might also want to check out what Robson is making...I think they have a couple of longer boats in their line-up still too and they cater to the C1 market if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps

matt
James
C Guru

Post by James »

I used to have discussions with other C boaters about getting a creekboat longer than the latest series, for better speed. If you find one that works out, post and let us know. We had discussed the skreem as one possible option. Personally, I`d still want a flatish hull, the rockit looks like riding a log, not sure I could adjust to that feeling. Anyone tried it as a creekboat?

A friend tried to convert a freefall LT, but had some problem with the molded in thigh braces. I agree, maybe eskimo or prijon has something worthwhile.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Rockit

Post by sbroam »

I am *not* a hard core steep creeker so I may not be much of an authority on this, but I have a Rockit and really like it. I'm 5'11" and 210#+/- and find it very comfortable - I anticipated that it would be log like (i.e. no initial stability), but that is not the case. It's actually nice and stable for me, and when you go past that point of no return it rolls very easily (log like, but in a good way :P )

It's the fastest plastic boat I've paddled aside from my Slasher, I'd say it beats the Cascade easily. It's very light even with walls added, though I took them out. It doesn't turn as well as I thought it would, but that may be because I've gotten used to pivot turns in playboats. This boat does not pivot.

I haven't had it on any creeks yet, but makes the "creek" moves on my local river easy - no edges to trip on, surfaces well, and attains excellently. It's also comfortable in big and squirrely water. When I can get the nose down, it makes some *great* enders! It's definitely my "comfort" boat; I guess I can retire that leaky open boat...

I haven't had a chance to paddle any of the other boats mentioned except the Big Gun and that was only for a few minutes. I think my negative impression of that was as much to do with the fact that the outfitting was for a much less "bulky" person. I also heard that getting the trim just so is very important.

The GTX looks sweet - a great all around boat.

Scott

ps - you should be able to find a Rockit cheeeeeeap.