air bags recommendations for an ocoee

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

weldernot
c

air bags recommendations for an ocoee

Post by weldernot »

I need to get air bags for a Dagger Ocoee. I'm looking for size and source advice. I notice that the NRS "3-D canoe solo flotation" bags come in a short (42" long) and a long (57" long). It appears that I could fit their long bag in the front, but it would come all the way back to my minicell knee pads - is that desireable? Lenght wise, there is only room for the short in the stern. I am also open to any alternate brand recommendations and any general air bag fitting information for an open boat that anyone cares to share.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Mohawk sells bags. I use 2; 60" bags in my Viper11.
They are $77 each. Their # is (877-226-6329).
They sell other sizes, as well.
dance for rain
Jim P
C Guru

I use

Post by Jim P »

60 inch Mohawks both front and rear in my Ocoee. fills up the boat, less water to pump.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

Keep in mind that the designated bag size is not the actual size of the bag when it is inflated. The 57" bag is probably closer to 50" when installed in your boat. I agree with Jim: the bigger the bag...the better. I've had three Ocoees and have always used 54" to 60" bags. One of them came with 48" bags, and I felt that they were way too small.

Right now, I'm using nylon Voyageurs. If you can find them and want to shell out a little more dough, then that is the way to go. Mohawks are also good.

Hope this helps :) .

Terry P.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Anyone used the "light" bags now sold at NOC? Are they close to the Voyageurs in weight?
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

NRS bags

Post by ohioboater »

I have some of the "infinity" bags from NRS for my tripping boat. Can't compare them to Voyager, but they are much lighter than Mohawk bags. Only downside is they lack a Roberts valve for quick inflation/deflation. Not an issue, though, if you just blow them up and leave them in place.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

I've got NRS Infinity bags in my Aftershock and they've been bombproof so far.

Always used Mohawks before but I like the NRS bags better now.
Parrot Head Paddler
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

FWIW,

I have some older nylon voyaguer and harmony bags in my boats that have given good service over the years. I think they are still making harmony bags, not sure about voyaguer.

I most recently purchased some GAIA nylon bags. They have worked great, well made, and seem to fit the boats alot better. They were a little pricey though.

The only experience I had with NRS bags were not good. They were those grey ones and seemed to be cheaply made and were leaky...

Never tried Mohawk bags...
SYOTR
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Gray nylon NRS bags - agreed

Post by ohioboater »

The gray nylon NRS bags (pale gray, almost white on top, black on bottom) definitely were horrible about not holding air very well. The new Infinity bags are (pardon the pun) infinitely better.