Concordia 09!? You're response needed!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

IF a 'Concordia 09' Event was held (likely in the east coast US), would you be interested in attending?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 pm

I wouldn't miss it - I'd definitely be there!
14%
I'd like to attend
69%
I think I can make it, but don't count on me
17%
I'm not interested in that type of gathering, or already committed for the summer
No votes

Total votes: 35

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Concordia 09!? You're response needed!

Post by Sir Adam »

Some of you here may recall that this forum, originally created by Scott Wilkinson, was created originally so folks in the DC area could discuss the C-boater get-together that was held in 1999 called the "Concordia".

I've talked to a few folks who have been interested in a second "Concorida", 10 years after the first. I've also been in touch with some of the paddling greats who may be able to come out and join us for such an event again. NO DATE HAS BEEN SET YET, but I'm thinking some time in the summer. If there is enough interest I'll post a few different dates, depending on what I hear back regarding other events taking place (I don't want to compete with slalom races or other river festivals if I can help it, but that may be difficult).

Particularly from this distance, and due to some other things going on in life, I can't commit to organizing the whole thing alone - I'll need help, and quite a bit of it.

So please answer the pole if you think you'd be interested in ATTENDING, and if you'd be available to help organize, or run a clinic, please e-mail me.

The event would be paddling and clinic focussed, including sessions (assuming we can find "instructors") on:

-Slalom technique
-Cquirt
-Outfitting C1 / C2's
-Open Boat Slalom
-Outfitting Open Boats
-Rolling C1
-Rolling OC1
-River Running
-Any other ideas people have!

I have also received an application to be part of the "Reel Paddling Film Festival" next year, so one evening event would be some of the best video footage from the past year. I'm not sure if any of you attended any of their events last year, but I was VERY impressed by the quality and content of the videos.

For the original Concordia we had 100+ paddlers, and it has sparked "Armada's" and other get-togethers world-wide since.
Last edited by Sir Adam on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Ha! First out of the gate with the poll ("pole", Adam? :wink: ). I'll be happy to pitch in whereever I can. I'll email you about the concordia rather than clutter up this post with my ramblings.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think the open canoe slalom nationals are supposed to be at the artificial course in Maryland next summer - it would be really nice if there was a way to coordinate this with that... Maybe the weekend before or after so some of us could make a week of it with one long distance trip... :D
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

One of the group photos from C99... C how many tgrippers you can ID!

Since the photo only sometimes showes up....
http://cboats.net/gallery/show.php?size ... a_99_1.jpg

I re-visited the photo shown and its funny how many true friends who I paddle with fairly frequently now that I didn't know until that event. Definely well worth the time. :wink:
Last edited by PAC on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

I would make every effort to be there.

I was at the original Concordia in 1999 and it was about the most fun i've ever had. Hard to believe it's been 10 years...
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

If the date works, I'll do a rolling clinic. Decked or open doesn't matter since I roll them the same way.
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

I would be interested depending on date and location. Slalom would be good.
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

I would definitely be interested in attending, depending on dates.

Just to kill the rumor before it goes very far. No official bid for the 2009 Open Canoe Slalom Nationals has been recieved thus far for the ASCI course in Maryland by the national committee that decides these things.

Sorry Scott to put a damper on your plan :cry: (although it did sound good) maybe a bid for there will come sometime.

Oh yeah, I'm on the committee so once its decided it will get posted here!

Thanks Adam for starting the idea!

Natalie
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

Those ten years seemed to sort of fly by- that was a great event and I look forward to Concordia 09. If there are things I can do to help out, I will be more than happy to pitch in for the event.
Brendan
JRS
c

Post by JRS »

I would like to attend a second Concordia if the date works and it is not too far away. I don't make long trips anymore — been there, done that. JRS
vertpaddler

poll reply

Post by vertpaddler »

East Coast, possibly DC area. I'll be there for sure, dragging my paddle buddies kicking and screaming if necessary.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

As long as it's not too far south, I am in!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau