What do people think of this?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

How is the Upper Green compared the Nanty, anyway?

I've always thought it would be neat to paddle under that huge bridge.

I'm writing a novel right now with a river in it that's sort of becoming a combination of the Green and the Middlebury (in Vermont). I've run the Middlebury so many times and I've only run the Green less than ten, but it just gets into your mind. I think Leland said it best about how the Green would be the chosen destination after every rainfall even if it didn't release all the time. But it does. What a river. I think anyone who has seen the C-1 footage on the Green in "Playin' in the Backyard" and doesn't want to take up C-1 has no hope!

Alden
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Upper Green is class II+ish with two Class IIIish drops. The take out is that long hike that Gnarrows paddlers have for their put in (along with the legendary parking hassles) . Very pretty.

Paddled the Lower Green recently for the first time in a long time - no tubers because it was October. Pretty, too, but sure seemed to be a lot of annoying "gotcha" rocks...

Right now, we don't have a lot of options in this region, though it is raining cats and dogs at the moment...
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Phew, Alden, kinda put me on the spot there. I feel somewhat obligated to respond. I know I have been a "hater" lately but really it's all in good fun. I definitely don't hate C1ing, but I have realized in the last few months just how much harder we make it on ourselves. For years I was terrified to try kayaking because it always felt awkward and I couldn't roll. Then one day I was like, can it really be that bad? Bam! Next thing I knew I was kayaking and thinking to myself "dam, this sh!t is easy!" I can't believe throughout the entire course of my C1ing existence I really, truly believed kayaking would be more difficult for me. Truth be told, I went from sometime in mid July the day before the green race 2 weeks ago without picking up a canoe stick. I know, I know... But I couldn't resist the temptation any longer, and picked up my trusty bandit, dug the leaves and detritus out of my Remix, and went and got a practice run in and man did that sh!t feel good. I was slow as sh!t in the race due to my negligence of my heritage, but it was so nice to be boofin and sliding around on my knees again. Unfortunately, I couldn't feel my knees at the takeout for at least 5 minutes. The next day I was back on my butt for comfort issues. It wasn't nearly as much fun, and I couldn't boof again.
I don't know what all that means, but I certainly don't feel C1ing is something you can just try out for fun. Not a good solution to a drought, it sucks when there isn't much water to cushion the blows. It just isn't fun in the way trying out a steak burrito is when you normally eat chicken. It takes years of pain and suffering, being the butt of all jokes, ignoring the consequences of your actions later on in life, and still somehow enjoying all enough to stick with it to ever feel comfortable enough to be having fun all the time (how's that for a run on Alden). I mean, you can get in a canoe and have fun, don't get me wrong... But I think what keeps us stubborn and in our cboats is the satisfaction you get that only comes from sticking that one line that just feels so greasy smooth and looking at all your K1 buddies and thinking "they have no idea how good that just felt." And it's true, they have no idea. I've been to the dark side and back. We've all paddled with kayakers and seen them sneaking in a crossbow here or there, looking foolish, right?

Or maybe we're all just dumb ignorant rednecks/hicks (depending on geographic location).
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

CosmikDebris wrote:Or maybe we're all just dumb ignorant rednecks/hicks (depending on geographic location).
Don't EVER call me dumb! :evil:

Well, at least you've been boatin', Will. We finally got enough rain last Friday and Saturday to FINALLY push the Westham guage on the James above a dry riverbed and we have enough river water to paddle! :D So, what happened over the weekend? No boating because of the 20-40 mile-per-hour winds. :o large steaming pile of dog doo! :x

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

KNeal - Will wasn't calling you or anyone else
Or maybe we're all just dumb ignorant rednecks/hicks (depending on geographic location).
just trying to provide a .......

KEY to the situation! Just say'n! You're pal in dealing with drunk quad drivers! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Poor KNeal... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... !!! Will it EVER end??? :lol: :lol: :lol: ???
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

I also like this perspective:

http://www.boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/1578888

"To go boatin and to not swim is like openin a bottle of wine and only smellin it ........you just ain't enjoyed all the river has to offer."
- Louie

And the response from cbkoontz:

"I would equate swimming with spilling the wine all over the floor but you open boaters sure are good at lickin it all up."

CosmikDebris wrote:

"Or maybe we're all just dumb ignorant rednecks/hicks"
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

PAC wrote:just trying to provide a .......

KEY to the situation! Just say'n! You're pal in dealing with drunk quad drivers! :wink:
Hmph! I stick my head up in this post and WHACK! a "friend" takes a swing. :evil:
:wink:

Paul, considering you were the one driving me all around God's backwoods creation helping me try and find the key and flagging down the park rangers, you are entitled to a few swings. Just remember that I was with you at the checkpoint :D and I still have that 400 foot nylon strap of yours.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Soon to be 400 1' straps lol.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
huge
C Boater

Whole river experience

Post by huge »

"To go boatin and to not swim is like openin a bottle of wine and only smellin it ........you just ain't enjoyed all the river has to offer."
- Louie

That's why there are cquirt (and squirt) boats.

As for your questions Alden...

1) When the author says, "probably not a good idea," do you agree?

No

2) Why or why not?

Not a good idea within the narrow definitions listed I can agree on. But I have different reasons for paddling every day. Some days you want to work for every last eddy. Other days you want to enjoy the ride and enjoy the scenery. So while the authors comments may have been appropriate within the narrow definition, when viewed from a larger perspective I have to disagree. Because I want to sea kayak in Puget Sound, and canoe camp in Utah, and squirt in WV, and raft in CO. Much like the adage of judging a book by it's cover, one should be wary of judging the paddler by their craft.

3) Have you ever told someone, "It's a Prelude" and had them ask, "To what?" Has that ever happened to you?

No. But only because I don't have a Prelude.

huge
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

It is interesting how good canoeists can easily hop in a kayak and let it rip, but good kayakers cannot simply hop in a canoe and do the same.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i am buying one of the galasport revisioned toro kayaks for entertainment, and training off season to still beef up my surgery shoulder. but kayaking is fun. here in Charlotte, where only 5 people actually train for slalom. I hardly care what boat they are in. regardless, the water gets cut short, and turned on late. so it doesn't matter. Here we are all boaters, trying to paddle.
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.