Thoughts from Zephyr owners and people that have paddled

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

photogora
c

Thoughts from Zephyr owners and people that have paddled

Post by photogora »

them? I've been looking for a new boat. I'm pretty much a fair weather open boater and currently own a big old battleship that tends to push me around more than me paddling it around.

I've found a great deal on a Zephyr......ash gunnels, bulkhead system and was thinking of picking it up.

How does everyone like it performance wise. I understand it's a great boat for someone still learning like myself.

I'd heard the twintex had some issues in the beginning. Thoughts on that as well as durability and longevity?

I'm sure this topic has been visited a million times so I apologize for a redundant post but I don't have much time to act or search the forum.

Thanks!

Ray
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

nice, responsive, dry and light boat. If you don't hit too many rocks, the twintex will do just fine.
I love the design, but I like the material less. Apparently the cracks are well to be repaired, but I haven't seen a repair, so I can't tell.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If you are coming from an old barge, say an XL, this may feel like hot, edgy boat at first. Give it some time - it's a good basic design that is nice and light. Mine has held up very well to abrasion, no big impacts for me.
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

The Zephyr is a fantastic boat. It surfs great and is relatively fast. If you're looking for something to creek with, look elsewhere as the Twintex won't hold up. Also IMO it is tough to roll.

Other than those two drawbacks, it's really a great boat!

Phil
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Similar observation on the roll - it was the first open boat I had paddled in a while (starting last year) and I found it was sensitive to poorly inflated air bags and bad technique. I blew a couple of my first rolls in it, but all's well now.
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

cracks can be factory repaired nicely.

The rolling comments are interesting. I found the same issue, but did not have any problems at all in the Zoom. In fact I found the Zoom fast and easy to roll. Same hull shape and design. The difference, bulkhead vs. thighstraps. Mine improved greatly once not Elvis pointed out the water damming in my boat and additional transfer tubes were installed. Still it rolls slower than I would like.

So are others experiences with roll issues bulkhead boats or thighstrap boats?
photogora
c

Post by photogora »

Thanks for the words.

I won't be doing any creeking anytime soon, mostly paddling western NC stuff like FB9, Pigeon, and the Noli if I get the nerve but those can get a little rocky too especially at lower flows. I don't think I've ever gotten through Stackhouse rapid without slamming into something.

I guess another drawback would be that I live about 5 minutes from the USNWC and that place can be seriously hard on some hulls. It's certainly not my preferred place to paddle but it's close, a good workout and a good place to work on skills.

In any case, I may have to pick it up as it's one of those deals you can't afford to pass up even though I don't really have the funds.
cracks can be factory repaired nicely
Factory repairs....does that mean shipping the boat to Canada??
jnorto01
C Guru

zepher roll

Post by jnorto01 »

The zepher rolls just fine with saddle and thigh stap outfitting. With the bulkhead outfitting (which is what you want if you want the outfitting to stay stuck to the boat) the boat is tough to roll due to water daming. You will need to instal as many transfer tubes as you can though the saddle to let the water flow to the other side as you roll. My roll is about 99.5% and I swam multiple times out of a friends zepher (bulkhead outfitted) in a swimming pool.

The design of the boat is fanatastic - the twintex and product support are less than desireable.
photogora
c

Post by photogora »

I definitely want to learn to roll but for now I wouldn't consider it at the top of my list for skills development.

It is discouraging to hear that CS leaves much to be desired and the twintex issues are definitely being taken into consideration.

I love the fact that it's so light but I also don't want to buy a boat that I might destroy in a year. I'd probably be purchasing the boat with the intent of graduating to something more advanced after a while but if I destroy it and can't resell it to step up a little then it might be a pointless and costly in the end.

Oh dilemmas......and to add to it, I just got a check in the mail that would cover the cost of the boat. :x
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Buy it!

It sounds like as a relative beginner you won't be too hard on the boat by slamming down huge drops every weekend.

Although I too am a little hesitant about the repairability of the boat and the difficulty with outfitting, it's not a fragile boat! With"surf light" river running, you are not likely to do any significant wear/damage in a year or 2, or even over many years.

So, if you're getting a good deal on it, it's an enjoyable hull to paddle and you're really not likely to wreck it. That's my opinion anyway.

PY.
Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Post by Mr Marc »

I have paddeled a Zephyr for the last season and I love my boat. I used it at least 34 times in class 3 and 4. The material is still in good shape. I had a very small crack that I fixed with a heatgun. I think it is normal since I had a very big hit on the side when my boat was full of water.

I am very satisfied with the boat. It is easy to handle, it is fast, it makes sharp turns, it as good secondary stability. I have a bulkhead and I do not have any problem with rolling. When I miss my roll, it is not because of the boat.

I bought it lightly used at a good price. I think a new Zephyr is very expensive. If you have a good deal, Go for it.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Hi Ray

Post by billcanoes »

NCDavid has one in Mooresville-

Shawn in VA owns one and has had amazing longevity out of it-
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Seeing that I'm sure I just finished offending Prelude owners - I might as well continue.

Zephyr- Admit I've only paddled them in flatwater.

I really liked it. I thought it had a great mix / compromise of speed, tracking, stability and manouverability.

But, the material. I've seen the cracks and heard too many stories. I don't follow the earlier implication that it might be good enough for a novice on easier water. I smoked just as many rocks learning on 2/3 than I do creeking these days.

I want a durable material that I can repair. I might count pounds with my C-1's, but face it canoes are heavy. I always seem to be hauling at least 10 -15 pounds of water anyway. Don't get hung up on weight, go durable.

All said, I did quite like the boat, I'd take one at a reasonable deal - if I lived close to the factory repair center.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Yes on The Z!

I keep noticing the comment about "not a creeker", "avoid rocks" etc...
just wondering if this is from 1st hand expierience or just a concensus of what's been posted by others?
I have had my Zephyr for four years plus and it has only developed the cracks in the last season of abuse.
My boat has seen 400+ days on rocky rivers and been abused the entire time.
I still say that in the long run the TwinTex beats the snot out of regular composites and Royalex for durabilty and strengyh.
If it had been Royalex I would have had to junk it quite a while ago( that of course being AFTER patching it eleventeen times)

I say buy it
take care of it ( I wouldn't spend the 1st season with it doing tons of splats, spins, and seal launches )
And have a BLAST! This boat is alot of fun and has been a real confidence builder for me :)
Shawn
Amiga!!