Converting a playboat to c-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

monkey

Converting a playboat to c-1

Post by monkey »

I want to convert a playboat into a c-1, and I need some advice about where I can get all the materials and I'd like to have some idea how much it will cost. Thanks for the help.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

ADHESIVES! Any hardware store has Weldwood contact cement in the RED can. While you're there pick up some disposable 1" paint brushes.

Sweet Composites has the foam: http://sweetcomposites.com/

I use a local dive shop for lap-belts & cam-buckles, but there are other sources.

Sometimes you can use an off the rack kayak skirt, but sometimes you have to have custom tunnel placement. Mountain Surf has made many custom skirts, but I'm not sure if they're back in business yet. Skirtworks made some nice looking custom skirts for Adam & Jim's new designs this year. I would check w/ them.

If you're looking for outfitting ideas look at the conversion section of C-Boats. There are several methods shown. http://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?type=5
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Weldwood from Lowes
Minicell Foam from local boat shop ($$$ from there though)
Small Cutting Board from Krogers (hip pads, you'll need a torch too)
4x4" Fence Post couple of feet long from Lowes
Bread knife from Krogers
Drill and some nuts/bolts/washers from around the house
12 pack of beverage from Krogers
Old kayak skirt from butt boater friend
Duct Tape from the tool box (say what you please about this one)

My last conversion cost about $80 + $125 for the hull & skirt. The real cost here is foam and TIME.

Some people go to great length to produce the Mona Lisa of conversions, I'd rather spend that time in the water!
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

Mountain Surf is back in business. John's shop is located two minutes from the Ottawa put in. The web site is www.mountainsurf.com
monkey

c-1

Post by monkey »

Thank you all for the advice.