Tiny Changes...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Tiny Changes...

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Massively effect performance.

I altered my CU Fly a bit, and I suddenly struggled to roll it, had two embarrassing swims, then altered it back and it was better, but still hard to roll. Moved my strap up and it improved further... but I still cant get it dialed down.

I'm going to have an embarrassing season at this rate.

Have others found that even minute changes of the outfitting totally effect the feel of a particular boat.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

yes.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Outfitting adjustments?, hades, I find that wearing just an 1/8" of neoprene changes the way I fit in the boat enough to make a difference! Although this tends to be more the case with C-1 than OC-1.

John
Jim P
C Guru

Outfitting?

Post by Jim P »

What about eating?

My PFD doesn't fit after TDay. :o
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

So what did you do Josh....?
If you took some off the seat, put it back on....!

If not get down to a pool and nail the technique. I ended up with many people hanging on to my boat trying to stop me from rolling it.....they couldn't :D

A good pool session may also help you decide if your outfitting is good enough, a lap strap may feel good on dry land but is it doing the job in moving water?

I dont find mine difficult to roll but I use thigh straps and fairly tight hip pads...
Chris
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I moved the foot braces, and thus the thigh hooks, so i didn't struggle to get in with boots and a drysuit.

It had been 6 or 7 months since my last swim, so the lap strap is certainly satisfactory.

I reckon that it may well have been some combination of the -5 air temp, and being tail squirted in the middle of serpents tail then running it backwards and landing on my head that did it for me.

I'll have it in a pool/on flat water at Christmas, just to be certain, because having a bombproof roll fail is a bit gutting.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

wetnobby wrote:... I ended up with many people hanging on to my boat trying to stop me from rolling it.....they couldn't :D ....
just one hand through a grab loop and your swimming :o
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Folks hanging on like that make the roll easier. Just try not to smack 'em w/ the paddle :wink:
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

outfitting changes everything else. everything.
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

When you lose your roll, it means someone somewhere else needed it more. (An instructor once told me that.)
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Josh,
In OC1 I find you either look really good or really bad, there seems to be no in-between. Chris talked me into moving my trim back in the Zoom, it went from a good boat to a fantastic one overnight!
Hope to see you folks on the water soon.
Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Will you be at the Washburn release on Dec 29?

bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

have you guys been getting good rain? washburn was rad when I was over in august and sep. trent lock also was in a couple times, you guys are lucky to have such convenient sweet waves handy...
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Trentlock is good, But I've never heard the washburn called rad (I like the new playwaves though) the locals (of whom I'm no longer one) regard it as a last resort when there's no rain, as the dam spills year round.

Currently most of the rain is either snow or hail :(