Newbie Paddle Questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MarkE
c

Newbie Paddle Questions

Post by MarkE »

Hi Y'all,

I have two newbie paddle questions:

1. How do I know what size my paddle should be? I'm 6'3" and will paddle a converted Large Fluid Flirt. I will mostly be playboating, if that helps.

2. Where can I find a t-grip? I have a K-1 paddle that I would like to convert to a C-1 paddle. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Mark
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Mark, unless you you are independently interested in doing

Post by ChrisKelly »

the conversion it will not be time well spent. Buy a canoe paddle.

As to length, just try a bunch of lengths until you decide what you are comfortable with.

I think the stock formulas for deciding are bogus because we all paddle a bit differently.

Come to ALF this Spring. There will be dozens of boaters and between us there will be a wide range of paddle lengths.
See what you like. Plus, there are likely to be paddles for sale.

But, for now, paddle with whatever. It willl give you a sense of whether you want a longer or shorted stick.

Chris Kelly
MarkE
c

Post by MarkE »

After searching the forum, I realize now that "what paddle length?" is a pretty stupid question. I thought there might be an easy formula but there is not.

I think I will try the K-1 paddle conversion anyway. I've nothing better to do. I'll let you know how it turns out :D

ALF? What is that? Never heard of it.

Thanks.

Mark
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

"ALF" refers to "Ain't Louie Fest", a gathering of canoeists in the Smokies in TN and NC in March. Wander around the forum for details.

You will almost certainly be disappointed with your kayak paddle conversion as the blade design will be wrong. With that said, my current emergency spare paddle is a converted kayak paddle I got for free along with one I bought. I knocked the plastic t-grip out of a cheap-to-begin-with (and broken) Mohawk paddle by whacking it with a 2 x 4 (a.k.a. my high-tech organic manual extractor). A minute or two with the belt sander later this t-grip made a snug fit in the kayak paddle. I glued it in place with Plumbers Goop (from Lowes) and ran a 1/4" bolt through the assembly for good measure. Make sure the bolt is barely long enough and is out of the way.

I paddle whitewater, am just under six feet tall, and have long arms (like an orangutan). I started out with a 60" paddle and found it awkward when going cross-bow. I'm down to 56-1/2" now.

Cheers,

Ken Dubel
Louie

You can do it

Post by Louie »

I have converted many sissy stick to real paddles but it is a butt load of work. I had paddled many years before I used a converted sissy stick and by that time I had handpaddled (forced to), used a 2 X 4 , and even three pieces of a four piece Kayak paddle.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I would suggest starting at 60" and cutting it down as necessary. Much easier than lengthening.
MarkE
c

Post by MarkE »

Okay, I understand what ALF is now but who the heck is "Louie." All I can gather is that it is some sort of deragatory name for an open boater but I don't see the connection.

Pardon the ignorance. I'm new at this.

Mark
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Look two posts above your last post!!!
dixie_boater
C Guru

So you're new to this

Post by dixie_boater »

Louis is not some sort of deragatory term for an open boater :lol: I think you're about to find out just who he is...real quick :)
Michael McCurdy
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

MarkE wrote:Okay, I understand what ALF is now but who the heck is "Louie." All I can gather is that it is some sort of deragatory name for an open boater but I don't see the connection.

Pardon the ignorance. I'm new at this.

Mark
I'm pretty sure in most circles Louie is a deragatory term for an open boater.....at least it is now!
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I am praying that 'LOUIE" does not become a derogatory

Post by ChrisKelly »

for open boaters.

I mean really, who wants to be called LOUIE!!!!

I can just hear it now: "look at that bunch of ugly Louies over there."
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

There are a number of gatherings around the country that seem to appear in relation to this message board - the first was the Concordia in DC in 99...which was actually the reason this humble forum was originally created. Afterwards "Armada's" appeared, including the now seemingly annual North Branch of the Potomac Armada (typically May or June on the MD / WV border). More recently the "Ain't Louie Fest" organized (or is that dis-organized :lol: ) by the verbose and by all accounts very hospitable Louie (responder to your post) has appeared as a week long celebration of creeking and c-camaraderie.

Given your location I'd recommend the North Branch of the Potomac "Armada", but if you're up for a good time head to ALF. I've never been, but I've heard nothing but good things from others.
Keep the C!
Adam
vzap
C Boater

paddle length

Post by vzap »

I'm 5'10" somewhat dis-praportionatly long armed and used to use a 60" paddle. Stayed that way a while. Paddled with a short paddle advocate once. Tried his short paddle and wound up cutting my 60" paddle to 52". Sound nuts? Try it you'll like it. Lessens the chance of a shoulder dis-location also. nitro vinny
Zap Paddles