rolling

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hapypadler
c

rolling

Post by hapypadler »

So i've finished outfitting my godzilla and was jjuust thinking about rolling it and about what differences i'll see from rolling a kayak. I'm thinkin' it'll be easier. Any experiences?
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

It'll be a lot easier than a OC but, in my humble opinion, harder than a kayak......especially on the offside roll........not that I would ever be caught in a kayak :).
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

My rolling was pretty good in kayak, but switching from the dark side I got a bod shoulder injury (impingement) due to bar rolling technique...

I think it is almost as easy, actually depends a lot on the boat, but requires more practice. My advice is make sure to stick your shaft hand close to your forehead; don't extend too much. It helps getting more swing but...

Rolling C1s I find is easier than most OC. Although you have to stay more at an angle from the boat (or use a second stroke, there are many techniques) it sure helps that no water is filling the boat. Makes it not only easier but more helpful; dealing with a swamped boat is a drag.

I did install a small bilge pump in my prelude and i love it also for rolling. For less than a 100$ it empties the boat in less than a minute, many times a day.

C ya!
billhay4
Pain Boater

Rolling

Post by billhay4 »

Keep shaft hand elbow low. Do not let it get up to or above shoulder level.
Keep grip hand into stomach.
These two tricks almost make it guaranteed that you'll have good form and reduce dislocation possibilities.
Also, do not use the body twist technique taught by some. This puts your in a dislocate position during part of the roll. Twist your body before initiating the hip snap and roll.
Good luck,
Bill
CDawg
Pain Boater

Keep your shoulder low low low

Post by CDawg »

If you roll up on the rt side of the boat, drop your left shoulder as low as possible before snap. If yer on lft side of the boat, rt shoulder low low low. I have a friend who keeps doing the high-brace roll, and going to the doctor for shoulder pain. :-?