Shredders....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

I own a large tube rocker (Shredder).

I have not used the JPW but I have paddled a Hyside Paddlecat on numerous occasions.

I like the Shredder a lot more than the Hyside. My main gripe with the Hyside is the height of the floor and the width of the boat. I felt too close to my paddling partner and like the floor was not deep enough.

I love my Shredder. They are a few hundred dollars more and the wait time is higher. In my opinion, the difference in quality warrants the extra cost. That said, the Hyside is still a decent offering.
openboater
c

Upper Yough in a Shredder...

Post by openboater »

John Mason (Mountain Surf fame) took me down the Upper Yough the Friday afternoon before Gauley Fest in 1994. I was working for Mad River Canoe back then. John's Shedder was made by the guy up in Ohiopyle (Bill Love? someone help on this one).

Sick run! John knew the run like the back of his hand. I paddled on right side (with my Mitchell Premier carbon shaft/wood t-grip and blade with metal tip and FG rope edges). A day I'll not forget.

One of the top 10 things I gotta do before I die is paddle the Upper again in an open boat. I'm thinking with my kids...O-C2 would be the bomb.

Rob
open boat, open mind
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Hyside Paddle Cat weight

Post by Wendy »

Mine weighs 45# and the floor depth and width was the same as the Airtight I sat in. IT sure won't roll up like the Airtight, but the yellow does well in our hot climate versus black neoprene. Good to hear he can make lighter colors of the Airtight.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

I'm leaning towards a Shredder, but I'll likely not be looking to order until the fall anyway (at the earliest).

Sounds like a fun boat to keep for a long, long, long time ... and a good addition to the fleet.
Keep the C!
Adam