have there been many female c-1ers to run the green?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Joey

have there been many female c-1ers to run the green?

Post by Joey »

i have never seen any pictures, or heard any stories. i was just wondering if anyone knows a woman that has.
abird

c-1s

Post by abird »

Joey, are you planning to become the first? (well, i dunno, wasn't there some girl on "Dawson's Creek" named Joey . . . ?)

how many c-1ers run the Green period? Or, how many race down it? I was disappointed to note only ONE measly c-1er in the whole 65 person field at last year's Green Race!

Alden
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I've been fortunate to run the Narraw's with Eli and Pyscho a few times. It isn't for the tame at heart. You'd best be on your game.... really. Total head trip. We paddled Spanishfly's (rodeo OC's) and it is a mind trip, although the boats do well on creeks. My best guess on female's... if it hasn't been done by any female C'paddlers would be a first by MJ Simpson (Pyshco's wife) or Carolyn Peterson who can C-boat as well or better than most men. I'll put the bug in their ear this weekend to see which will take the challenge.... but don't hold yer breath.

Post by Guest »

yeah, i did it once. i was a bit, whats the right word.... puckered. i have just noticed since i started teaching my girlfriend to paddle, that there havent been to many female cboaters around. the few i have met, are always on runs like the lower yough, and the nanty. im sure they are all better paddlers than that, i have just never seen any ladies run "harder stuff". i am just curious more than anything. --- joey
C1Dub
C Guru

Women C1's

Post by C1Dub »

I don't know of any women C1's that have done the Green, but that doesn't mean they haven't. There really aren't a whole lot of us around. :(

Most of the women C1's that I know of are northerners other than Carolyn Peterson from down south. Maybe they have enough hard stuff to paddle in their areas to keep them satisfied without going to the Green.

Or maybe women don't need the same adrenaline rush that men do and have no desire to do it. Not for me anyway. :o I have plenty of fun on easier stuff.

I've paddled OC and C boats off and on for about 20 yrs. Of late I've been pretty much a butt boater with the exception of the occassional easy slalom race in C1 or C2. This is due to back surgery and loss of my roll. Also I'm a better safety boater in kayak and I was teaching students alot. I'm working on the old gut and back muscles harder this year and have been paddling a Fanatic a bit more this summer. Soon the roll will be more dependable, I hope.

Are there any other women registered on this message board?

Natalie
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Post by NZMatt »

My bet would be that there may be a couple of Canaian women who have done it. I met a woman called Gigi at the Beaver a couple of years ago - she paddled a rodeo OC and apparently did pretty well in rodeos against the guys. I think she's also in the "We Designed 'Em" video, but not sure on that one - I'll see if I can find time to check tonight. That day on the Beaver I think she ran Eagle section, although it was a while ago so I might be wrong. Eagle is short, but significant. In some ways not particularly hard, but don't mess up. I wouldn't OC1 or C1 paddle it yet (I kayaked it once). No idea how it compares to the Green Narrows.

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Has anyone seen Heidi Domeisen?
Bob P
abird

boatin

Post by abird »

natalie, good to hear from you. have you been to any penn cup races? just raced at cascade falls (art's race) today and we also had an "extreme" race afterwards. you start with a big seal launch into the river,then over the waterfall! (there was some carnage -- one hospital visit and one helmet ripped off!) the slalom was really really fun, althoguh hard to do clean. anyway, sorry we missed you.
Alden
abird

boatin

Post by abird »

natalie, good to hear from you. have you been to any penn cup races? just raced at cascade falls (art's race) today and we also had an "extreme" race afterwards. you start with a big seal launch into the river,then over the waterfall! (there was some carnage -- one hospital visit and one helmet ripped off!) the slalom was really really fun, althoguh hard to do clean. anyway, sorry we missed you.
Alden
Evelyn
c

Hospital Visit

Post by Evelyn »

On the Cascade Falls Slalom note, my leg is doing better.... serves me right for running the falls in a kayak. Next time I'll be in a C-1!
C1Dub
C Guru

Races

Post by C1Dub »

Alden,

Been readin your posts, sounds like you've been rippin it up this summer. You're postin some good results. Will you still talk to us next year after you make the team? 8)

Raced C1 a few weeks ago at the Dog Days slalom. Did much better than I ever have. I actually beat one of the guys. I had to compare my times to theirs since I was the only dub. I had a clean run too.

Bummed I couldn't make it to Cascade Falls, I had to work the weekend. Not gonna make it to Esopus but I'm trying for Farmington. I'll be racing C2 and C1 at the Bellefonte race in the Penn Cup. Been workin harder in c1 lately and tryin to race it more. A good roll is still eluding me but I'm workin on it since I seem to flip more. Oops! :-?

Natalie
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Heidi Domeisen ran the Green Narrows about 10 years ago in a Cascade. I was there in an OC-1. We didn't run Gorilla or Sunshine though.