Anyone hurt their T-grip shoulder before?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Anyone hurt their T-grip shoulder before?

Post by oopsiflipped »

I'm a righty and i did something practicing cross strokes yesterday and my left shoulder is super tight today. Feels 'pinched'. I know that's kind vague, but I'm not really sure what I did. Any suggestions?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Ice it and rest. In 48 hours start slowly to go for range of motion. If pain / keeps up, or motion is limited - see the Doc ASAP!!! Generic I know but until you get a professional's view you get what you pay for. :(
One thing to prevent is trying to paddle with your torso verses your shoulders / arms (even crossing).
My right shoulder (I'm a righty) was bothering me and I made sure to focus on paddling this weekend using the torso. It made a big difference and I'm pain free today.
Hope you feel'n better shortly. Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Shorter paddle sometimes helps

Post by Wendy »

Agree with PAC totally; see professional if persists
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Sure, repeatedly, over decades. The top hand shoulder undergoes a wider range of stresses than the other shoulder.

I just re-started paddling after some weeks off, and right away had some pain and feelbleness in the T-grip shoulder. So, I took Aleve, and slowed my re-entry program. Shoulder is OK now.
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Post by sganarelle »

This is kind of a thread derail, but my gf and sternswoman is a physical therapist and when we started paddling together she nearly flipped out when I told her I had only really paddled on side. So since then we switch on and off weak/strong or do easy stuff entirely on the weak side.

My shoulder pain from paddling has gone away.

Ibuprofen, rest and some ice is key.

Also stretching. Light warmup.

I have felt your pain.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Have paddled about 95% on one side since 1973, and have never had a problem I could blame on one-sidedness. Of course, there is Rush Limbaugh..... drastically one-sided and ended up addicted to pain killers.
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

RICE - Rest, Ice Compression and Elevation......also a 12 pack and the couch for a weekend. Take care of the shoulder or it'll put you down for a season.

There are also some exercises you can do to strengthen your shoulder - http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?241 .....sorry the g@y shirt is required!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Ditto on all the care recommendations and MD follow-up. We can throw guesses all over the place on what it could be, and they may be right. Don't wanna waste your time with guesses, though--remember the audience you're addressing :D .

Just had to add $0.02,

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

EZwater -- good one!

Oopsflipped -- yes, I have been down the road of pain in the T-grip arm. I wrote a whole article about it in Let It Rain.

Alden
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I was kinda hoping someone would tell me what i did and how to quit doing it. I guess i could go to the dr.....but i'm also the same guy who spent part of at least two seasons as a guide with numbness in my arms when i woke up in the morning and not being able to lift my arms enough to brush my teeth until i loosened up.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Hard to say what you did. Could have been the weight lifting (12 or 16 oz'er) after, too much pressure, or how you slept on it. The big thing it to get it looked at if it does not go away! Hope it does!

EZ - is Rush a lefty or righty...or he so right he became a lefty....oh never mind! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Georgia Stu
C Boater

Post by Georgia Stu »

Only a doctor can diagnose it for sure, so take the following with a grain of salt .... twice a day and call me if it doesn't get better. :-?

But I have had symptoms that sound very similar to what you describe. A kind of 'pinched' feeling, and even some arm numbness if I really tweak it. My orthopod diagnosed it as a partially torn rotator cuff. Hurts like the dickens when I extend my T-grip arm too much. Mine hurts most when I do long extensions either on- or off-side. I'm more prone to do this when I'm tired, or after several consecutive days of paddling. My way of dealing with it while paddling is to make sure I keep my shoulders compact and not extending too much. You know, like you're supposed to do! :)

I also try to make sure my paddling form is correct as well, especially by torso rotation and NOT paddling behind the plane of the shoulders. I'm sure laziness and sometimes not paying enough attention to technique is what injured my shoulder anyway.

My doc gave me options of A) surgery (i.e. several months out of the boat), or B) some passive stretching exercises. I opted for plan B, and it doesn't give me too much trouble anymore. As long as I use good form! I probably have a couple of sheets describing those exercises that I could email you if you want.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

No one can diagnose your problem with certainty via a message board, but rotator cuff injuries are very common to c-boaters. Once your current pain and inflammation has subsided, you should consider trying the shoulder routine that Davey Hearn recommends for strengthening the four small muscles that make up your rotator cuff: http://www.daveyhearn.com/Coaching/Tech ... outine.htm . I've found it to be very helpful rehab.

John
eckilson
c

Post by eckilson »

I'm a lefty and I had a lot of problems with my right shoulder. Started doing some light weights last winter, and it seems to have helped. I'm also much better about streching. Unfortunately, its more of a long-term solution. Sounds like its the two I's - ice and ibuprofen - for you.