Spoon bladed paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

playboater06
C Boater

Spoon bladed paddles

Post by playboater06 »

Is it really important that my main paddle is a spoon blade? I am a big guy and when I was a kayaker I could make the strongest paddle flex like crazy. (fixed my stroke from that) If all spoons do is add more power to your stroke is it really that much important to get a spoon paddle?
Jim P
C Guru

Nope

Post by Jim P »

IMHO - finesse and technique will trump power every time.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

http://www.rivrstyx.com/html/trik_talk.html

some interesting thoughts from jim snyder on the subject. i have a 56" Bailey oval blade coming. just the paddle i was thinking of buying so if i like the old one i'm getting from casey, i'll be ordering a longer one for creeking.

jim snyder's thoughts are interesting to read and his paddles are amazing. @ $375 for a single blade, i won't be getting one anytime soon. not sure what bailey charges, but i'll find out soon enough, i'm sure
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I think, at least for a recreational paddler, curved or spoonbed paddles as well as stiff paddles are way overrated.
They are important for a racer, where fractions of a second count, but not for a recreational paddler.

I just picked up a Rivrstyx from Jim last weekend, and it's amazing! It pretty much goes against most of what I had previously used, i.e. big blade surface, spooned blade, square paddle bottom.
The surface is small, the bottom is round and the face flat.
Granted, there is less power per stroke, but the possibel higher sstroke rate makes up for that.
There seems to be less 'shock load, when I put on the power, it's more of a gradual power engagement.
The paddle is a finesse paddle and not for brute power. Feathers beautifully and responds well.

And it's absolutely gorgeous to look at, too!

Bottom line is, flat blades work as well as curved fo the average rec paddler, with maybe a minute adjustment of paddling style.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I wouldn't say that curved blades are "way over-rated," but it is quite possible that any paddler could find a flattish blade that worked just as well for running rapids.

I have three curved slalom paddles, and some older uncurved blades. Slalom paddles seem to do everything well, and I haven't found a disadvantage. But I was always happy enough with flattish blades when I was using them. Even my old Norse paddles. And a Norse is better for digging a car out of mud.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

ezwater wrote:I have three curved slalom paddles, and some older uncurved blades. Slalom paddles seem to do everything well, and I haven't found a disadvantage.
I'm going to try spoon blade b/c the flutter when i do a cross-draw is horrible with my galasport.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I don't know the why's or why not's but a fan tail spoon is the best paddle shape I've ever used. I have a new one on order from clinch river paddle company, I have an investment bank financeing it Bailey is very proud of his work..
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

well..

Post by PAC »

One word... demo. Borrow other folks paddle and and see what works. Some spoons will work better for you in some cases while straights will work best in other cases. That inlcudes lenght and boat. Need to find the blade right for you!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Can't have too many paddles!
I go through phases.. I was digging the small blade/ high stroke rate thing for a while, but right now I kind of like a blade that has more bite. The H20 works nicely. It's great for one of my favorite things ...the delayed boof :D
When I'm playboating (which is hardly ever) I like a small blade.
I don't use any flat blades any more. I feel that a spooned or curved blade is more efficient... we need all the help we can get.
Larry
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

FYI, 'spoon' blade and 'curved' blade are not the same

Typically, 'spoon' is curved from side to side across the blade (like a spoon)... 'curved' usually refers to a curving back, in the direction of the power face, somewhere from end of shaft to blade tip.

All curved blades are not curved the same either, some I prefer more than others.

When I went to curved blades I noticed a slight improvement in just about everything. I realized how much improvement there really was when I tried to go back to a straight blade.

As for flutter, some incorporate a slightly raised area down the center of the power face to reduce flutter. Some paddle makers also may make the blade slightly asymetrical for the same reason (I think Bailey does this if you wish)

Also, a little bit of strength training can help reduce flutter.
JD
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Dihedral power face
dance for rain
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

I got to try at H2O bent shaft paddle this weekend for a few minutes and I got to say that is an awesome paddle. I use a 58" normally and it was a 56" but felt perfect.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

eddyhops wrote:Also, a little bit of strength training can help reduce flutter.
So if I was stronger, I could force the blade not to flutter, right? Doesn't that still mean the blade is an inefficient design for that stroke?

Of course I got too lazy to paddle a boat full of water, too. Talk about inefficient! :wink:
Louie

Post by Louie »

Back east finesse is what we use to avoid fillin up the boat with water. Like Dick says " Just because they are called open boats doesn't mean youhave to fill them up" but since you are wearin a Kilt remember when you blow you line and you drop into some killer hole just keep smilin and act like you mean to do it, yano like the buttboater do.
vzap
C Boater

scoop blade

Post by vzap »

I make a scoop blade paddle that has an ash and mahogany or cypress laminated curved handle; I call it a re-curve shaft. Excellent feel. Great power and no flutter. The curve adds strength and allows it to stow beautifully as a back-up w/o getting in the way. Still working on the weight thing (the paddle-not mine) and have a 54" 32 oz. paddle with an aluminum tip guard and fiberglass cloth w/epoxy resin (both faces) that I can use for a couple of hours at a time. Going to use Kevlar/aramid fiber w/epoxy on one to see how much weight I can eliminate while maintaining strength. Anyone know what the super-fine mesh material on some of the comercial blades is? When I get the weight down and the strength up I'll feel better about using them as a full time w/w paddle. Anybody interested in test paddling one let me know; vzap@charter.net . I live in Suwanee Ga.
Vince
________
MAINE DISPENSARIES
Last edited by vzap on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.