Conversion Recommendations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boofalicious
c

Conversion Recommendations

Post by boofalicious »

Dear C-Boaters,

I'm looking for advice. I'm a long-time OC'er considering doing a C1 conversion on one of two kayaks that I don't use anymore. The options are a Dagger Rx (Prescription) or a Pyranha Inazone. I would like a C1 that will work for both play and river running. I don't do acrobatics, mostly just front- and side-surfing. Stability and rollability are big factors for me: the more stable the better. I would mostly be paddling small-to-medium-volume Class II-IV. And if you don't like these two choices, what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Boof
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

what size zone? And what size are you? I always thought an Ina would be a nice conversion but maybe someone has done it and knows better! :-) I think your size will make a difference on which is the better choice. My $.01
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jnorto01
C Guru

Inazone

Post by jnorto01 »

Go for the Inazone if it is big enough for you. J Robbins paddles one of these and it is awesome as a C-1.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I paddle someone else's Inazone and the cockpit rim pressed uncomfortable against my thighs. That hasn't been a problem for me in other conversions. It could have been that it was too small for me.
boofalicious
c

Post by boofalicious »

Thank you PAC, Jnorto and Cadster for trying to help me out here. PAC, you asked my size and the Inazone size: it's an Inazone 230 and I am 5' 10", 150 pounds. I'm pretty lightly built, so smaller boats have always been better for me. The Inazone worked great for me back when I still kayaked. The other option -- the Dagger Rx -- is the 6.9 version.

I had gotten one opinion locally (here in Southern Oregon) that the Rx would be more stable / less edgy than the Inazone. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again,

Boof
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Hey Boof,
I'm not familiar with the Dagger Rx. But at 150lbs you should be fine in a 230. I'm 170 and J's Inazone that I have paddled is a 240. I thought it was stable enough but yet really play-able. Cadster mentioned the cockpit rim-- the tabs for the knee grabbers (kayak parts) can easily be cut off if they dig your thighs, but it makes the corrective surgery permanent as it will never be a kayak again :P
CDawg
Pain Boater

I've paddled an Inazone

Post by CDawg »

I've paddled an Inazone c-1, on class three, it was a nice ride in spite of it being a 220 and me weighing around 180 with my gear on (but the pedestal was very low, 4 inches). Seems to me a 230 c-1 would be sweet at your weight. I'd definitly go for it. As mentioned you might need to amputate the k-knee grab ears if they bother you, but I'd do that anyway if it were up to me.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

I got my hands on an Inazone 240 over the weekend. The cockpit rim is really narrow. The knee grabber bolt on area does not stick out from the cockpit rim as I thought it might. It is just that the rim overhangs the cockpit quite a lot and a lot of this overhang can be trimmed away with out compromising the hull to give the thighs a bit more room. Jim