Cboaters are 1.7% of the boating population ??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Cboaters are 1.7% of the boating population ??

Post by Alden »

116 k1ers for every 2 cboaters?

1.7% of the boating population?

That's what we are??

That ain't right!

Oh, but wait, those are the numbers from Cheat Race this year! 118 boaters and only 2 measly C1ers!

And what about last year? 137 boats, and only . . . the same two Cboaters! (1.5%!)

I'm telling you guys, every year when Rick Gusic gives out the prizes at the end, even if I was the only C1er (like in 2006), I know I'm in danger of being overlooked! And if I'm second (like this year, to Jay Ditty) -- forget it. He doesn't even acknowledge me! All the other classes (and I'm talking there are like 18 different classes at Cheat Race) have prizes awarded for the TOP 3. But in C-1, we're lucky if the top guy even gets noticed! Obviously the prizes themselves aren't the issue, but the lack of respect, man!

Hades, I just looked at the results, and I wasn't even included in the C-1 results with Jay. They didn't even look far enough down the list -- or care! To them, I'm just another faceless K-1 . . .

What allows the race organizers to treat Cboaters like this? The fact that none of us show up! Here we've got a great, recreational-level race (it ain't like this is the Green Race) in the heart of boating country, with probably more racers than any other whitewater race I've ever seen, and tons of cboaters hanging around, and only two cboats racing??

Don't seem right!!

Alden
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I feel for you bro... However, I think Big Nasty eat'n KNeal a few years back during the race :o might still be on the mind of some folks. Just say'n! :wink:

Cheat Fest is just always a bad time of year for me - work and kid duties. Heck I didn't get to the fest on Sat. let alone to paddle. :cry:

Start nag'n prior to it and maybe we'll feel the pressure. Its a long sog.... but a very fun river!!! 8) Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Alden, I hear you. I have also entered more than one race here in ON where I was the only single blader. Makes for easy wins... :lol: ...
As far as the percentages are concerned, I think that you are unfortunately right however, and that in the overall boating population, we are only about 1-2 %.
I am trying to change that though. I have already been successful to turn a few kayakers into at least part time C1-ers... 8) ...

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Gosh Alden, I think the Beastie Boys said it best:

"You fly like an eagle when you drink Old Crow"

I raced at the Wenatchee last year. And there were two c1's in a field of 40 or so. So that mean we're 5% of the boating popultion out here, right?

Maybe we need a bigger sample group. And I think the main reason more people don't c1 is that outfitting is a pain.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

You're special Alden... don't concern yourself with what the other kids who have to use two blades and sit in their boats think of you. :lol:

Getting C-boaters to rally for competitions is like pulling teeth out of a chicken some times... why I'll never know. Good for you for throwing down though Alden. What was your time in the "big picture"?
androooo
C Boater

Post by androooo »

Speaking of C competition, What are some big slalom competitions for C boats? Is there OC slalom in Olympics?
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

androooo wrote:Speaking of C competition, What are some big slalom competitions for C boats? Is there OC slalom in Olympics?
I think the Olympic Committee said they already had enough swimming events....
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well it was one of the biggest water weekend in a long time down here. We did Tellico at 3.2 (new gauge) and 3.4 (old gauge) first time in about 10 years. A bunch of first D's got done, a race on the Cheat is hard press to compete with that. If we were in Wisconson or someother flat land place the Cheat would look good.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Alden, I got this pic on Friday from the Cheat Race, sorry I didn't get any better pics. I would have entered the race, but I would have had to bring my overnight gear if I was racing the canyon in my spanish fly or my closed deck playboat.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mzakutan/Ch ... 3334589922
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

It just surprises me that with such an inclusive, "old school" vibe (the Phoenix boats, the beer at the take out, the Glen Miller shuttle, the mystical feel of the Cheat Canyon) and the camraderie that surounds the whole festival/party weekend (not to mention all the cboaters who are there running rivers!) that there aren't more cboaters in the race. Well, there are certainly plenty of kayakers for us to race! (Which I did rather poorly this year!)

Either way, the guy who really gets praise here (and maybe this should count for two cboats) is Ditty, for paddling a C-1 wildwater boat down the Cheat. At 3.5, that river is certainly no picnic in any cboat, let alone a wildwater boat.

And I'd like to also say that both Rick Gusic and his assistant (especially his assistant!) absolutely crack me up. I don't know who that guy is, but he's hilarious.

Either way, hope everyone else had fun at Cheatfest!

Craig, you crack me up too. If only you'd hitched with Hailey (another lame K1 racer who should know better!)

Alden
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

So Alden will U be at Cquirt? Not a race but it will be on the Cheat (Narrows @ the Alleys) and its all about Cboaters? I think I can provide a brew or two as well.

Oh we Cquirtist sux looking for DT but we can squirt, cartwheel and overall we are getting better! Jimi S. should be there (maybe Paul S. too) to give us a good vibe and make it Kool old school! :wink:

There will be boats to borrow. Hope ya can. Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
icyone
C Guru

1.7 %

Post by icyone »

Sadly to say, I'm afraid that's right.

But hey, try being C-1W.

As someone (I believe Ed Gertler) famously said ""Rare, seldom seen, frequently rumored to be non-existent..." not for nothing is our symbol the graceful Unicorn of C-1W

But is it pretty sad, as the deluge of "Just a minute & you will be an expert" K-1s continuesto fall upon us, that the Cradle of C-1 aka the Middle States of America cannot summon more C-1/C-1W's on the Cheat.

Come next year 's race I will be 76 yrs of age. Do I have to come out & carry the dam C-1W Unicorn tapestry banner in the absence of all others??
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Paul, that sounds like fun. I'd like to come. Craig, we can just take your van, right?

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

the new one? :wink:

do you still have yours? :lol:

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Gentleman it is not nice having me spray coffee all over my keyboard first thing in the AM. :lol:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator