Air Bag Brand?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sganarelle
Pain Boater

Air Bag Brand?

Post by sganarelle »

I need to buy new air bags. But what brand? I was thinking of getting Gaia branded bags but I was looking at Harmony's website and their bags are more expensive. Does the price indicate a certain level of quality?
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I recently bought Gaia airbags, and I don't like them. They are too flexible and don't stay in my boat well witht he standard lacing system.
So I placed an order with Mohawk for new bags, the Gaia will serve as repair-airbags. Though the Mohawk airbags seem to be a little lighter then before, they do are tougher.
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

I recently bought Gaia airbags, and I don't like them. They are too flexible and don't stay in my boat well witht he standard lacing system.
Dude you can't blame Gaia because the lacing system in your boat is substandard. I have been using Gaia airbags for a year and in that time i have had zero problems, i think they are great.
thats my 2cents for sunday morning, i'm off to the river ciao
James
Louie

Post by Louie »

I got to go with Giga also
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Mohawk air bags

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The air bags have not changed. We still get them from the same supplier. We try to give the boater the best deal with the best end result. Yes are bags are a little cheaper, but they work for the right price

richard
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

I've had a pair of Mohawk bags for a couple years. They seem plenty tough and have held up fine so far.

Phreon
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Until recently I always used Voyageur lightweight Nylon bags. They are "gone" and apparently Gaia is now the source for really light bags.

I got a super deal on some 48" Harmony PVC bags a coupla years ago, and so I've put them in my new Millbrook. The heavy fabric seems to make them less inclined to swell into the lacing when warm, and less inclined to flop when I'm driving and the bags are a bit underinflated. I'm sure that air-driven flopping was the cause of most leaks in my old Voyageur bags, though, what the heck, they lasted pretty well and have not been hard to patch.

My currrent attitude is that it may not make sense to put super-light bags in a rather heavy Royalex canoe. [Whoops, said "Royalex." Smerda will be moving my post. :roll: ] But for a really light composite boat, really light bags make sense.

I'll probably order some light Gaias (Kaz has them) for my Millbrook and move the Harmonys to my MR Synergy.

On the thing about lacing and bags staying in, Kaz must do good lacing because he says he does not bother attaching the nose of float bags under the foredeck. But I did attach it, snugly. And rather than putting the side mounts as far back from the bags as possible, I mounted them forward, so they tend to pull and hold the bags in under the lacing. I've notice much fancier lacing systems pictured on the Gaia site, and that must help too.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Gaia. You can order them direct from their website.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

The Gaia bags I have, I personally find the tissue too flexible. Therefore bulking out of the lacing system.
The new esquif airbags, made by gaia, are looking a whole lot better. Though I still prefer Mohawk, so I ordered some mohawks lately... .

Personal preferences ;-).
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Thanks for the plug EZ, as always.
It's always nice to support your local retailers.
JKaz
Millbrook Boats
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Post by sganarelle »

So Nylon or Vinyl?

I guess since the Giai bags are lighter in weight and as a result less durable I want durability.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Air bags

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I have to agree with a earlier post,if you are worried about a few ounces in a royalex boat WHY I am not gear friendly and was spoiled for years using Whitesell bags (they where light and strong) now; i've tried all the bags that i could get. And theres not that much difference. Some are a little lighter cut a little better. But all in all 95% of the openboat gear outthere is quility: maybe not up to your specs, but to still be on the market they have to have a following.. Anyway For the money quality and fit I would suggest Mohawk bags
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

The gaia bags I have rock...
SYOTR
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i just picked up a pair of Bell bags this spring from the paddlesports shop in town.

so far, so good.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Does anyone know who made the air bags for Pyranha? They are the best bags I have ever had. Particularly the valve design is way better that the standard air bag valve IMHO.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau