At home storage for 5 canoes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Chuck Wilkison
c

At home storage for 5 canoes

Post by Chuck Wilkison »

I would like to build a structure out of wood or pipe to store 5 canoes and one sea kayak. I would like the structure to have a top to protect boats from sap dripppings. I do not want to reinvent the "wheel". Any suggestions will be appreciated!
mattm
C Guru

an idea

Post by mattm »

these guys are having a 50% off sale this weekend.
http://www.shelterlogic.com/

You'd still have to build a rack.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Buy a canoe trailer and get a tarp - that is one of our current canoe storage arrangements. Haven't gotten around to building an outside rack for the "fleet" canoes... The rest are hanging from racks built in the rafters, hung from rope and pulley arrangements, parked under the deck, or sitting in the yard...

Take a look here for some of those options :

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam/CanoeOutfitting#

WE have been mulling over building a shed/rack, too, though. Thinking of planting to 4x4 posts and building a roof between, not unlike a trailhead info kiosk. Then build a rack between for boats. Haven't done more than doodle on a napkin to this point... I know of several folks who have built similar racks but sans roof...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Chuck,

E-mail or give me a call some time - I'd be happy to show you how the "fleet" is stored these days, and walk you through what I used to use (a lot of treated 2x4's for the rack, and a tarp - though I had to keep the snow off the top in winter until I made a "peak" at the top). It was very reminiscent of the rack SBroam mentions... but bigger (as I had *a few* boats stored on it at the time).
Keep the C!
Adam