Mohawk Viper

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

playboater06
C Boater

Mohawk Viper

Post by playboater06 »

Man I love the switch to OC1 but I am still not sure about how to put my feet. Am I supposed to lay them flat or up on my toes. Also what are some good exercises to stretch out my feet and ankles. I barely can walk afterwards and I cant stay in my boat for more than 3 miles.

One more question where can I find some good float bags?
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Your feet being flat or on pegs is a matter of comfort/preference more than anything else. The pegs will help wedge you in better than feel flat (for rolling) and you will need them with a bulkhead type saddle (or use a lap belt).

If you like flat (as I do), the big thing is to support your ankles with some foam so that they aren't truly flat and there is less strain on them. Outfitting is a personal thing, so what was in the boat when you got it may be different than what you need. Saddle height, shape, knee pad and ankle support thicknesses and placement, strap placement, etc. all vary by person. If you bought the boat from someone of pretty close to the same size, outfitting may be close to right, but if you are a few inches taller or shorter, you will likely have to move some things.

Saddle height is probably the big issue with comfort over a long time. The higher you are up, the less extreme the angles on the knees and ankles and such. You can (typically) get a lower saddle with feet flat than with them on the pegs because less of an angle on the knees with them flat. The higher you are the more comfortable, the lower you are the more stable.

Stretch breaks are normal with OC1. The better your outfitting fits, the longer you can go.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

flotation bags

Post by pblanc »

My favorite flotation bags were the lightweight nylon ones made by Voyager, which is no longer in existance. Recently, however, what appears to be the same bag is being sold by Harmony, but thus far not in the 48" length. They do, however, sell the 54" nylon end bag which may work well for you if you have a Viper 12. I'm not sure about the Viper 11.

Other sources for bags are Gaia, Mohawk, and Northwest River Supplies (NRS). Gaia bags are also sold by NOC and Bell Canoe Works.

Regarding foot and ankle position, ankle blocks do make a big difference, but you may need to experiment a bit with position, shape, and height.

If you have Yakima adjustable foot pegs, and if they are mounted high enough on the saddle, you may be able to point your toes underneath the pegs. I find that doing so allows me to actually generate downward pressure with my knees against the knee pads which helps stay in the boat when rolling. I can change from toes pointed to feet flat on the pegs by adjusting the Yakima braces a notch and have found that varying position helps.

You might also experiment with different footwear. I find that booties with a firm sole feel best when you always have your feet flat on the pegs, but soft neo booties feel best with toes pointed.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Re flat or toes,
In C1, I lay my feet flat and have foam ankle support and wear soft wetsuit booties.
In OC1, I'm on my toes, pushing on the foot pegs, and use footwear that has a sole.

jscottl67 mentioned
Saddle height
Don't forget about saddle width. I find those narrow saddle uncomfortable.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;