Electric Bilge Pump (more i know! :P) Battery Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

McNugget0909
c

Electric Bilge Pump (more i know! :P) Battery Question

Post by McNugget0909 »

OK so i know there has been a lot of talk in the past on electric bilge pumps. I am about to outfit a caption and want to put in a pump system. I have decided to build the pump described in detail at http://www.riverjunkies.net/howto/openb ... system.pdf
these plans are also discussed on the forum. I was just curious what batteries people would recommend with this setup. The author uses Lead Acid Batteries. I want to use something lighter and just wanted to know what y'all out there had to say about other options that would work with this setup. Thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it.

McNugget
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" -HST
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

It seems most people are using SLA or Gel batteries, because they are easy to find and inexpensive. I have a Lithium Ion battery pack, but it came in a kit from " rapidrunnerbilge " with charger for car and home. The whole set up is about 1 1/2 pounds (pump, battery, and hose) excluding the chargers and works very well. I can use it for many trips before it needs recharging. It may take some effort to find a similar battery set up separately. Maybe have a battery store make you one in a small pelican case?
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

battery

Post by rcgalwa »

Polymer Li-Ion Battery: 14.8V 4250mAh (62.90Wh) with PCM

Part#: PL-5467100-4S-WR

Product Questions: For safety consideration, please allow 1-2 weeks to build and fully test this battery pack before ship out.:

(Qty: 1 x $98.95)

Smart Charger (1.5A) for 14.8V Li-ion/Polymer Rechargeable Battery Pack with Two Pin Connector

Part#: CH-LI1418-4

(Qty: 1 x $26.95)
If you are willing to spend the cash you can't get a better battery. It is the same one the previous post talks about only from a cheaper distributer - battery space. Just make sure you get this charger too so you don't fry it. Good luck.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

I'm sure many will disagree with me but...

Save your money on the expensive battery and buy a lighter paddle. You can get an SLA that weighs 4 lbs for $20 or an equivalent li-ion for >$120 that weighs 1 lb. What's 3 lbs in the grand scheme of things (unless your a racer in which case you probably should get a glass boat)? I guess I could understand if you are planning on using the boat for wilderness runs with lots of long portages.

Assuming this is a tandem boat, and both paddlers are 150 lbs, let's say the caption weighs in around 60 lbs outfitted (without the pump) - that mere 3 lbs extra battery weight is 0.83333% of your overall weight. I know 4 lbs sounds like a lot, but it really isn't for such a big boat like a caption.

I know several people that have used Li and Nimh batteries that have failed. My SLA is still going strong after several years - I just make sure to keep it charged up.

If you've got the money to spare - than just ignore everything I said and stimulate the economy!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Marc Evans has made a battery holder for 12 rechargeable AAs - I've tested a proto and he's tested a second. Maybe not the lightest, but cheap, readily available, versatile, etc.
virob
c

Post by virob »

NiMH are a nice compromise between the weight of SLA and expense of Li. I had a local battery store make one up for me that fits into a 1010 pelican case. The loops on the case make it easy to strap it into the boat. Takes about 30 sec to remove or install.
Jim P
C Guru

Ditto on the SLA

Post by Jim P »

After building 5 of these over the years, I've dropped the pelican case/otter box. Just find a place to mount the battery off of the bottom of the boat. Either cut a spot in the back of the saddle or on top of the toe block of foam.

No need for fuses etc with the SLA nice and simple. Solder all connections and use the sealer to delay corrosion.

I use the waterproof switches just because thats how I started, they are not expensive but are a special order item. I figure a couple of pounds is no big deal compared to the water that you are more likely to empty with less effort.

Cheap and simple.
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Re: Ditto on the SLA

Post by cmnypny »

Jim P wrote:After building 5 of these over the years, I've dropped the pelican case/otter box. Just find a place to mount the battery off of the bottom of the boat. Either cut a spot in the back of the saddle or on top of the toe block of foam.
I guess that is the difference from paddling in snow and ice to down south.

I prefer not to chip the ice off the battery before I have to charge it :)
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Ice? You mean that stuff that makes your mint julep nice and chilly?
McNugget0909
c

Post by McNugget0909 »

Thanks for all the great tips, I think I am gonna use the SLA after all. Also thanks cmnypny for the great plans, i think they originated with you, if not, thank you to whoever put the plans online for this setup. I appreciate all the help.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Put 2 Attwood V1250s in that Caption. 1 SLA 12V 5 amp hr battery will run both pumps.
McNugget0909
c

Post by McNugget0909 »

jnorto01 wrote:Put 2 Attwood V1250s in that Caption. 1 SLA 12V 5 amp hr battery will run both pumps.
Hey jnorto01:
Ordered my 2 Attwood v1250's last night, and I literally just walked in the door from buying my SLA and charger, to find your message. So sounds like Im on track. Now all I need to do is get all the odds and ends and piece it together. Thanks again everyone for the tips and help. One more note: I think I am pretty good at finding the cheapest prices around, but I am out of my element when it comes to this electrical stuff, but anyway the two pumps($75 after shipping), battery($25), and charger($25), all added up cost me $125, and I still have everything else to get, so either prices have gone up since this setups instructions were written, or Im a bad shopper. Let me know if anyone out there knows where to get this stuff for cheaper, for next time. Thanks

McNugget
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Hey McNugget,
2 pumps for $75 including shipping is a great deal. I think I paid around $36/pump not including shipping. I have not priced batteries lately, I paid $10 each several years ago but the shipping was about $10-15. I already had a charger laying around. Sounds like you did alright. I have my battery in an Otter box drilled for the wires and a water proof switch and sealed with 3M marine urethane. It is over kill. There is not enough voltage drain with bare connectors and a regular switch to really worry about it. It depends on if you just want function or to have the system look slick and professional.

Get it hooked up and go side surf a nasty wet hole!!
Jim P
C Guru

Colin you should try charging indoors

Post by Jim P »

I assume you guys keep your homes above freezing right? :o

If not then how do you drink your beer - beercicles?
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

the ice that forms on colin's vertige x serves to keep the water from leaking in through the hole in the stem (besides keeping the beer cold) :D
Joe